FIX-IT
FIX-IT, Technician
Experience:  ENGINES-ELECTRICAL
35815791

Century: freightliner..Last night it was running fine..wouldnt start

I have a 2006 Freightliner, Century with a 14L Detroit. Last night it was running fine, no issues, but this morning it wouldnt start. When the ignition is turned on the "Engine Protection Light" was blinking. It would not start. Oil level, water level is fine. It was not cold here this morning, but the only way the engine started was by plugging in the Block Heater. Waited about an hour, than turned on the ignition and the blinking slowed down on the Engine Protection Light and finally started. What could be my problem?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer.i can help you with this..if you have a eng chk button then with the key on engine off,push it and see if we can get a code through your check engine light..flash flash pause flash is 21 let me know what number you get..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello ,yes check engine light # XXXXX XXXXX protection light # XXXXX XXXXX have read out screen also,saing active faults 1 "eng coolant level" under that "Sht H1 128 111 03" ,check engine light now is on when engine is running.Thanks
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 2 years ago.

Flash Code 16 indicates that the Engine Coolant Level Sensor (CLS/ECL Sensor) input to the ECM/ECU has exceeded 95% (normally >4.75 volts) of the sensor supply voltage

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It looks like the coolant level sensor is bad or the wiring has a issue,try the coolant level sensor first as it is a common problem and let me know how you do..

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry,replace coolant level sensor,check ok,next morning same problem/blinking red engine protect light/wont start,i put electric heater under engine/driver side/half-hour both lights off and start.Yesterday drive 500 mil and both light come on and off,still driving,please, what next,thank you

two hours ago replace level sensor wire,lights off ,wonder about cold start,next time saturday is when i running to cold let you know

Expert:  FIX-IT replied 2 years ago.
next time this happens unplug the coolant level sensor and with a piece of wire jump the 2 pins in the plug and retest we could have a wiring problem.
FIX-IT, Technician
Experience: ENGINES-ELECTRICAL