Dan, Mechanic
Experience:  21 Years working with the Volvo Equipment Line

Volvo FL6-11 Hi I have a Volvo FL6-11 and the glow plug warning

Hi
I have a Volvo FL6-11 and the glow plug warning light has started flickering intermittently while driving. It is quite random as to when it does it and doesn't seem related to revs or speed etc.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX X am a Volvo Construction Equipment expert, I would like to try and assist you with your question. I'm not sure if you have a Volvo motor or not, but in my experience i have had several issue with the computer throwing code for the preheat. I to would check solenoids and wiring, to find the problem to be the heater element itself. The element Volvo uses is a block with several individual coils mounted inside. I found the bolts or the solder joints had a poor contract causing the code or light to show a code or light. Additionally if the harness is chaffed somewhere it could cause the same issue. I would recommend ohming the harness for that circuit and verifying there isn't leakage of resistance somewhere.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Dan

Thank you for your reply - I can confirm that the engine is Volvo, I am just unsure on the HP but it is in the range of 210-220 HP. I would just like to check whether the auto electrician checked everything that you have suggested; just in case I need to ask you any more questions.

Otherwise I am happy with your answers.

I will come back to you ASAP.

Rgds Peter

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Okay Great, on the preheat element when inspecting, remove it from the intake and take special care to look for small cracks around the ends of the element where it is soldered to the lug holding it in place. Usally i will see a small black line or mark where the contact is the problem. Very hard to see sometimes but I have had this problem several times over the years. On my testing results, I would want to see no more than 1 ohm across the element. Any higher would indicate a connection issue. Thanks Dan
Dan, Mechanic
Experience: 21 Years working with the Volvo Equipment Line