Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts

I have a New Holland L785 skidsteer w/ a ford diesel engine.

Customer Question

I have a New Holland L785 skidsteer w/ a ford diesel engine. When I turn the key I get one click (I assume from the solenoid) and nothing more....I have made sure the battery is at full charge and have cleaned all battery contacts. If I put a big battery charger on at 225 amp setting the unit starts right up. Im guessing I have a dead/dying solenoid but is it possible that it is just the connections at the solenoid or from the solenoid to the starter?
If it is the do I take it is wedged on top of the starter and directly in front of it are the fuel filters and primer assy(which I am reluctant to take off as I would need to remove post filter fuel lines and am afraid of getting air in the injector system)
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help. Take jumper cable and go from the battery negative post , to the starter housing as an extra ground cable. If the engine will start, you have a ground problem. If it does not, the solenoid is going to be the problem and the best thing you can do is remove the starter. If the fuel filters have to be removed, just bleed the fuel system from the filters to the injection pump, and get the air out all the way to the injection pump. The injection pump and injectors will not need to be bled. Only the lines from the tank and filters.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
why does the extra starting power work?
why do I need to remove the fuel filters if I am removing the starter?
I appreciate your answer but I get the impression you dont know the configuration of this unit
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
I talk from the diesel engine stand point. There are many variations on the New Hollands and other skid steers, but the diesel engine works the same in all. The extra power can overcome a weak solenoid or bad starter. I'm not sure what all has to be removed to remove the starter, just take off what is absolutely necessary.