DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
28984014

New injector in a commins n14 was missing like injector..running BAD

Customer Question

new injector in a commins n14 was missing like injector not working properly replaced and still running BAD?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  brian replied 2 years ago.

brian :

hello what all have u tried?

Customer:

put a new injector into #4 cylinder

Customer:

hello is there anyone available

brian :

did the ecm tell u it was number 4?

Customer:

hello can u give me some answers

Customer:

yes

brian :

did the code go away after u replaced it?

Customer:

we did not have a meeter to check the code

brian :

ok,how did u figure out #4 was the bad inj

Customer:

disconected the wire and truck ran same , disconect wire 3 & 5 truck ran worse so i figer number 4 was not fireing

brian :

that is a good way to ck it,what does it do now when u diconnect the wire?

Customer:

some times its worse sometimes its not

brian :

have u cked for bent push rods or broke or outta adjustment intake and ex valves on #4?

Customer:

yes

brian :

how about proper voltage to the inj?

Customer:

whats the best way to check voltage

brian :

with the truck running unplug the plug o the inj and ck it using a multimeter not a test light

Customer:

how much voltage should i have

brian :

another thing to ck for is with the truck running, visualy look and see if the int and ex rockers are moving up and down the same height compared to the others.

Customer:

thats already ben done

brian :

should have 12.50 and above,some of the newer ones run 110v and up,

Customer:

well work on it again tmrw , thanks for your input

brian :

yw

Expert:  DR.Cummins replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today.The voltage is check is un needed as the ecm would of set a fault for that cylinder .the injector solenoid valves are actuated by the electronic control module (ECM) to control fuel metering and timing. Each injector solenoid is connected to the ECM by a supply and a return wire. An electrical pulse is sent to the injector from the ECM on the supply wire and returns to the ECM on the return wire, after actuating the solenoid. Each solenoid valve is normally open, and it is only closed by an electrical pulse from the ECM during fuel injection and metering. the best way to check the ecm pulse is with a noid light. so forget that, removing the injector plugs while running is ok but the best way to check for a failed injector it to use a temp gun on the cylinders exhaust port, the lowest temp cylinder is the failed injector. re check the injector setting that you performed the correct adjustment is tighten until the adjusting screw stops on it's own don't force than back out 120 degrees or 2 flats of the adjuster. also a bad engine position sensor will also cause this issue, remove the sensor from the back of the gear housing , check for oil in the connector, a damaged face on the sensor, (bubbles, or cracks are bad) and the sensor should ohm out between 1500-2000 ohms check readings hot and cold. i have seen sensors check good but are bad. your worst case scenario is a failed ecm driver(usually see fault codes for these) try a swap ecm . also re run the entire over head, here is the chart

The valves and injector are set at the same time

A mark -----cylinder 1-6

B mark -----cylinder 5-2

C mark------cylinder 3-4

fireing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4

intake valves 14 thousands

exhaust valves 27 thousands

Check the valve rocker levers on cylinder number 1 to see if both valves are closed.

Both valves are closed when both rocker levers are loose and can be moved from side to side. If both valves are not closed, rotate the accessory drive one complete revolution; and align the "A" mark with the pointer again.

FYI--------- The Cummins N14 was discontinued around 2000, and has been replaced by the Cummins ISX !!So there are no Newer N 14............. ALSO

The injector solenoids receive high voltage when the engine is operating, do not touch the injector solenoids or the solenoid wires when the engine is operating. This can result in electrical shock that can cause personal injury or death. Your choice to check for voltage ...........