catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case

I have a cat D3B right side will not turn (dry) steering clutchs

Customer Question

I have a cat D3B right side will not turn (dry) steering clutchs look about half worn ......How do I check the hydraulic pressure on the inside cup ......or how do I loosen this up it only started not working after sitting
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 2 years ago.

Donnie :

Could you explain your problem a little more? Is the track not stopping when you apply the brake or does the track not pull (slipping) when you are driving.

Donnie :

The steering clutch does not have any adjustment. Only the brake can be adjusted.

Donnie :

If the brake is not working, the pedal will travel all the way to the floor and not stop the track for a hard brake turn.

Donnie :

The steering clutch is applied all the time by spring pressure. It uses hydraulic pressure to force the clutch open. This will allow a gradual turn by not driving the clutch and the power on the other track will turn the machine.

Donnie :

Never adjust the linkage, the brake adjustment is a separate adjuster and is easy to but, hard to find.

Donnie :

It is common to have a failure of the steering valve roller bearing (on later models) and this would not allow the machine to disconnect the steering clutch. You would need to use excessive force on the brake to cause the clutch to slip to make a turn. Forcing the turn in this manner will quickly wear out the steering clutch.

Donnie :

Please include the serial number of your machine with your reply.

Customer:

serial # XXXXX 5G1093 ARANGEMENT NUMBER whats the easiest way to remove and check the roller bearing or just get this unstuck ........I have this apart and ready to pull out the whole drive unit

Donnie :

Not much to show from the manual. The valve is under the seat and has a rod connected to the actuation cam.

Donnie :

Remove the valve and disassemble it. The only trick is to pull out the roll pin that keep the spool and roller aligned.

Donnie :

I use Vise Grip pliers and have had good luck, broken a couple of pins though.

Donnie :

Here is a picture of the valve.

Full Size Image

Donnie :

Here is a parts list of the valve.

Donnie :

6H-3956 is the pin that get broken when you pull it out. The roller is item 13, it rides on pin 15. Replace the seals while it is apart.

Donnie :

If the roller is not damaged, check the slave cylinder in the housing. It could be leaking. If it is damaged you may need to replace the cam and its shaft. Anything with wear should be replaced.

Donnie :

Replace items 4,5,6 and 20.

Donnie :

I am assuming your problem is the clutch is not releasing and you must force a turn with the brakes?

Customer:

I have both covers off showing the brake lining and clutch assy i have reassembled all of the hyd lines to the brakes andcan start the machine to spin the track. when i pull on the rod that tightens the brake it will slow the drum down at an idle but thats it, the wish bone shaped arm is not disengageing like it does on the left .I have checked the parts you sent pics of they are fine and not leaking . I am going to try to pull out the clutch assy today

catmastertech, Technician
Experience: 19 years Cat, 3 years Case

I hope this reply gets to you before you do too much work, I just got the information that you had accepted my answer.

You are looking right at the problem. Most like likely the clutch is fine.

"It is common to have a failure of the steering valve roller bearing (on later models) and this would not allow the machine to disconnect the steering clutch. You would need to use excessive force on the brake to cause the clutch to slip to make a turn." from earlier

You stated "the wish bone shaped arm is not disengaging like it does on the left" That means the clutch is not releasing and the machine will not turn to the right.

The steering valve roller bearing is damaged and not pushing the valve spool in far enough to release the steering clutch. Like the original question, you are not getting enough pressure to through the valve to release the steering clutch. The steering valve is the control for the clutch release slave cylinder connected to the (wishbone) yoke.

If you install the parts from the list I sent you earlier, the clutch will release and the tractor will turn to the right with very little effort.