Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.

Probe: a 3126 cat and i need a tool number..engine speed..timing

I have a 3126 cat and i need a tool number fot the engine speed timing probe to set up engine speed cailabration.
Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

The part numbers you need are:

6V-2197 Probe

7X-1695 Cable

7X-1171 adapter

Please let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello I have an addional question, do you have the procedure to do the engine timing speed cail?

The probe should go into the flywheel housing TDC hole on the turbo side of the engine. Make sure that the hole in the flywheel is not lined up with the hole in the flywheel housing or the probe will be damaged.

You will then need to connect the probe to the harness and then to the plug on the ECM plug.

From there you will use Cat ET and go to service, calibrations, then engine speed timing calibration.

Then raise the engine RPM to 1100. Then click on calibrate and it should say Calibration successful and your done.

Let me know if you need more help.
I assume your truck has a manual transmission, correct? If you have an automatic transmission, please let me know. There is a little different procedure than on a manual. Let me know.