sevn103
sevn103, Journeyman
Experience:  Cummins,International certified diesel mechanic
20119161

I have a 1996 international 4700 with a dt466e engine.

Customer Question

I have a 1996 international 4700 with a dt466e engine. I believe I am not running on all cylinders because the truck sound odd and I have a severe lost of power? I need to know how can I check injectors without taking off top cover and what is the fuel pressure supposed to be at.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
Fuel psi should be above 50 psi, to check injectors with out scan tool you can take a temp gun to each clynder on the exhaust manifold, all temps should be around the same, if one is rather high or low that cly is your problem. You should also check inlet and outlet of turbo, make sure there is not alot of play on the compressor wheel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the late response very severe flooding in our yard, When i start it up now it blows grey smoke for a couple of minutes (not oil or antifreeze smoke), just recently I had to spray a little ether to get it to start. I will get on the diagnose asap.
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
Ok sounds good let me know
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Injector 1=194 2=194 3=196 4=193 5=212 6=192, fuel pressure is at 32 psi. will this contribute to the lack of power and no start unless I spray ether
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
fuel psi needs to go up, I would replace fuel filter, check strainer, there is a filter toward the rear of the engine , its a plastic body that has a strainer in it. Right by the fuel inlet , on the bottom is the strainer remove and check for debris, change filter, if fuel psi is still low you might have to change fuel psi regulator. As far as starting , after you spray ether to it, does it run ok or runs rough, if it runs rough there are a few things we will need to check, has the engine light ever came on while running or while cranking. sorry for all the questions but we need to figure this out.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The truck runs smooth once started, the no start just started recently, i will replace all filters and regulator just for PM sake. the check engine light came on for the first time last week
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
the regulator is like 200 dollars, start with the filter and strainer , the regulator is on the back of the head, I would rather see you do filter and strainer before spending big bucks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, I think you are great and I want to start paying you now for all your help. I want to continue with you once I replenish account, can you guide me on procedure?
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
Hold the payment until we move further on this,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate your expertise
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
no problem just let me know if theres any debris in your strainer, if so we will have to inspect the tanks, if not replace filter and retest your psi, and advise me thanks. If you could just respond after you do these steps, I get email sent when I get response so I can usually log in within the hour.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am picking up the fuel filter now but there is no strainer that I could see. the fuel filter housing just has a drain on bottom and is made of aluminum. can the strainer be located on the fuel pump attached to engine block, the fuel line looks as though there could be something there
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
No its usually alway on the filter housing toward the rear of engine, its plastic about 2 1/2 inches tall. Maybe bigger than a quater in diameter, its on the bottom.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the filter assembly is on the side of the block on this truck, there is nothing on the rear of block beside one oil line. all fuel line are on driver side of block
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
Yeah all the filter bases are on drivers side, im just refering to rear as location on filter base
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have replaced the fuel filter, there is no strainer on the setup I have explained by the dealer. the fuel pressure is still the same! A parts guy at international said the injector rail o-rings maybe the culprit? Do you want me to replace the regulator
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.

Injector orings would only cause oil in the fuel, or a no start period. Fuel psi is only going to be affected if the fuel pump is bad, filters are bad, restriction in the supply or a bad fuel psi regulator. Now it is cheaper to replace the pump, but 9 times out of 10 the pump is perfectly fine. There are tests to check the pump itself but you would need to have the special tools for that. In the mean time what you can do is restrict the return line, dont just clamp it off but while it is runing take a pair of hose pliers and start appling psi to the return line. What this does is the same a the regulator we are trying to stop/slow down return in order to build higher fuel psi. Watch your gauge while you are doing this and see , now if it builds your regulator is bad/not working good enough. Also see how it runs with the higher fuel psi I have usually set these to run at 60 psi I have seen them as high as 80psi

sevn103, Journeyman
Experience: Cummins,International certified diesel mechanic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok, will try in am
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
Ok let me know how it goes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The fuel pressure is at 72psi with the return crimped. The check engine light is on and the truck sound normal
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
Replace the regulator, can you flash the codes, key on hold diag button for a few seconds and count the flashes , all fault codes are 3 digit codes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
am I replacing fuel pressure regulator or fuel return regulator? Also do you know of a supply warehouse for these parts because one is 455.00 and return is 320.00 from my dealer and they both have to be ordered.
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
What is the last 8 of your vin? Something does not sound right any international dealer carrys these on hand and I've never seen them above 200bucks. Also where are they getting 2 different things from there is only 1 fuel psi regulator, and it is toward the rear of the high psi rail, has your return line w/a banjo bolt attached to it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
VH434769, I HAVE A DIAGRAM SHOWING ONE REGULATOR ON THE PUMP AND A REGULATOR RETURN ON THE BACK OF HEAD AS YOU MENTIONED?
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
Which pump are you refering to, the high psi pump does have a regulator but its for oil flow, it called a ipr valve, high psi pump does have lift pump but no regulator in it. The one on the back of the head is the fuel psi regulator. Only place I know of that carrys the regulator is international, you can try taking regulator out, get a flat tip screwdriver and turn clockwise inside to try and raise fuel psi.
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
We have adjusted reg as described just take it a few turns at a time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
K, WILL TRY THAT BECAUSE THEY DO NOT HAVE IN STOCK AT MOMENT. TEXT IN A FEW
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
When adjusting try to set it so your at 65 psi
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ALREADY BOTTOM OUT WITH A HEALY COIL INSIDE OF IT, IM TRYING TO LOCATE ONE NOW
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
Ok , your going to have to replace , sorry sometimes we can get away with adjusting but it sounds like you may have had a psi problem before and it was adjusted back then
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
FUEL RETURN REGULATOR WAS REPLACED AND NOW WE ARE AT 60 PSI. CODES ARE
111,113,224,333,622,615 AND 424. STILL NO START WITHOUT ETHER, HOW DO I CLEAR CODES TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE NOT FROM PREVIOUS?
I'M CONCERNED ABOUT 113
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
If I remember correctly hold diag button while pressing and releasing throttle 5xs, full throttle and be quick with the throttle. Try this and let me know, I will be on my laptop in the afternoon to look up all those codes, the 333 622 615 224 have me concerned. How does it run with better fuel psi.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
IT RUN SMOOTHLY, JUST CAN START I HAVE BREAK DOWN OF CODES

111 NO FAULT DETECTED- FLASH CODE ONLY
224 KAM CORRUPT
333 INJECTION CONTROL PRESSURE ABOVE / BELOW LEVEL
424 LOW TO HIGH SIDE CYL 4
615 PROGRAMMABLE PARAMETER KAM CORRUPT FAULT
622 ENGINE USING FIELD DEFAULT RATING
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
Is the check engine light on when runing, iknow what the codes mean, 3 of them are from a failed attempt of programming, that's why im worried. Try to clear, run and let's see what codes come back. If that method don't work to clear I will have to pull up method to clear its been years since I have done that.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
YES THE CHECK ENG IS ON WHILE RUNNING, COULD IT BE THE PICK UP IN FRONT OF MOTOR FOR HARD START. I am not able to clear the codes by depressing the accelerator, i will wait until you can log on
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
Try this to clear, somewhat same as before but hold diag button, then key on, press accelerator 5 times within ten seconds then release diag button, if done right red eng ligh should flash 3 xs
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Tried about ten times without result, the dealer says it is through cruse and resume button with brake on but that doesn't work either
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
Cruise and resume is for 02 and newwer trucks, when I get back I will post the info for this. As far as the cam sensor, if your tach is reading/showing rpm while cranking then this is not @ausing your problem. My concern is the computer default and kam memory faults at this point, and also the batt volt code. I should be looged in a couple hours, have a few more trucks to fix, then its weekend time
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
beautifully put
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
there's two relay on firewall, one of them was out and our starting issue is solved. do you have any wiring diagram of eng electrical so i can tell you which one it was?
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.

All the online diagrams only go back to 98 nothing older than that, Is your check engine light still on , hows the engine power/hows it runing?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
sounds great, clutch is very low on this truck but i think it is fine. check is still on, cant reset
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
Take a look at these attachements , and do some of the voltage checks, lets make sure all voltage is good, if all seems good, we may have to have someone plug into this and see if we can get the active codes from it,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
you are the best, XXXXX XXXXX trouble with reset but my starting issue was the relay. I have to put a clutch in this thing to continue but I am kinda backed up now with other issues. give me about a week and I will contact you. Again you are the best.
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
Ok just respond to this question when you need
Expert:  sevn103 replied 3 years ago.
I'm going to upload a few documents , if you could let me know if you can see/read. I'm having trouble uploading cummins info. I need to figure out what format I have to use for others to see. If you could I would appreciate it. Thanks

Attachment: 2011-09-16_013455_isxbelt1.pdf