Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
30708357

A PETERBILT WITH A C-15 CAT IN IT AND IT IS FAILING TO REGEN DUE

Customer Question

I HAVE A PETERBILT WITH A C-15 CAT IN IT AND IT IS FAILING TO REGEN DUE TO A AFTERTREATMENT LOSS OF COMBUSTION ACTIVE EVENT, WHAT SHOULD I LOOK AT TO SOLVE THIS?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

There are 2 items that are responsable for the loss of combustion code most of the time.

The first is plugged filter line fittings. When these get plugged, it limits the fuel to the ARD head and causes the flame to go out.

The second is a faulty ARD head. I first like replacing the filter line fittings and if that does not help, it normally ends up being a faulty ARD head.

Please let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WELL THE LINE FILTERS WERE JUST REPLACED IN APRIL COULD THEY GET CLOGGED THAT QUICKLY?

Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
Yes they can get clogged again that quickly. I have seen it before.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK WHEN I CHANGE THEM I WAS TOLD THAT I HAVE TO RUN A FUEL SYSTEM FLUSH WITH MY ET TOOL WHERE IS THAT LOCATED IN THE ET PROGRAM?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
I think it is located under system troubleshooting. However, flushing is not recommended like before. I just install the fittings and make sure to be clean when I do so.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK SO I CHANGED OUT THE FILTERS AND THE ACTIVE EVENTS WENT AWAY BUT IT STILL WONT REGEN WHEN I TRY A FORCED REGEN WITH MY ET IT JUST READS FAILED REGEN. WHAT COULD BE THE CAUSE?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.

If the filter fittings did not help, you most likely have a failed ARD head.

But before I replaced it, it is worth checking to see if you have amps going to the heater coil of the ARD head. I'm not sure if you have ever done this but if the ARD head is not cleaning itself, you could have a problem with a blown fuse to the circuit or a failed heater circuit relay.

Do you have a clamp on Amp meter to test this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
YEA, WHERE DO I NEED TO CHECK IT AT, AND WHAT TYPE OF POWER AM I AFTER?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
There is a wire that connects to the top center of the ARD head. You need to have at least 6 amps going to it when the heater cycle has been activated. You can activate the heater cycle with Cat ET.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK MY ARD HEAD HAS A HEATER PROBE OFF TO ONE SIDE WITH 2 WIRES GOING TO IT, THE SPARK PLUG ACROSS FROM IT ON THE OTHER SIDE AND SOMETHING GOING TO THE VERY CENTER THAT HAS A HOLD DOWN CLAMP ON IT. THIS COULD BE A WIRE BUT IT IS THICK AND HARD ALMOST LIKE A PLASTIC TUBE, IS THAT THE WIRE YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?

Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
Yes that is the wire in the very center.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WELL I GOT 7 AMPS FOR A SECOND THEN I GOT A LITTLE SPARK AND THE AMPS WENT TO ZERO. SO I AM GOING TO ASSUME I BLEW A FUSE WHEN CHECKING THE AMPS. SO WHERE WOULD I LOOK FOR SUCH A FUSE AND WOULD YOU STILL THINK THAT IT IS THE ARD HEAD? THAT IS MY THOUGHT THAT THE ARD HEAD IS THE PROBLEM SEEING AS HOW I DID HAVE 7 AMPS FOR A SECOND.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
The fuse is located in the battery box. There are 3 fuses there. One is for the heater.

Since you had amps, I agree that the ARD head is faulty.
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience: 23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

SO I REPLACED THE ARD HEAD AND THE AFTERTREATMENT LOSS OF COMUSTION EVENT IS STILL PRESENT AND WILL NOT ALLOW REGENERATION SO WHAT IS MY PROBLEM NOW?

Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
That is very odd. Most of the time the problem is filter fittings, failed heater core circuit, or ARD head.

Do you have a spark tester that you can use to test the spark to the plug?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

YES WOULD THAT CAUSE LOSS OF COMBUSTION?

Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
Yes. The only things left are spark and air. If you spark is good, I would run an ASVT next to make sure you have good air to the system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ASVT CAN BE RUN WITH ET?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
Yes. It is the air system verification test or ASVT. This test shows what the CGI and Combustion air is doing. If you can run this test and get me the results, I can tell you if it is OK or not.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

CGI VENTURI MASS FLOW RATE

TEST POINT 1 = 0.00

TEST POINT 2 = 6530.0

AFTERTREATMENT 1 SECONDARY MASS AIR FLOW

TEST POINT 3 = 42 LB/HR

TEST POINT 4 = 213 LB/HR

Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
All of those are within specs.

What was the boost pressure at each test point?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

#1 = 2.6

#2 = 1.2

#3 = 2.6

#4 = 1.7

Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
All of those are within specs so you do not have an air problem.

Were you able to test the spark?

Also, was a new spark plug insatlled with the new head?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes new plug and good spark

Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the information.

There are only 2 more things that I can think that is causing your problem.

The first is your DPF has so much soot in it that it is causing the regen to lose combustion. I would go to the status screen and find the differential pressure for the DPF. Then rev the engine to 1400 RPM's. If the restriction is over 2 psi, the DPF's restriction is causing your problem.

If the DPF is not restricted, you may have gotten a bad ARD head straight out of the box.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok Ill check that. I did have the DPF cleaned in april but Il still check it. This last time while I was messin with it it also has a failure to ignite event now. Does this change anything?

Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
If you are now getting a failure to ignite, you could have a faulty ARD head.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yea I am getting both events now, when both pop up that usually means ard head is that what you are saying? Because that would be my luck to get a bad one.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
Yeah it sure looks like the new head is bad. That stinks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THAT COULD CAUSE ANY OF THIS, BECUASE TO EXCHANGE THE ARD HEAD I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT AGAIN, AND CAT CHECKS OUT THE OTHER ONE AND DEEMS IF IT DEFECTIVE, SO I WOULD LIKE TO BE SURE BEFORE I SPEND ANOTHER $700.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
I totally understand your sitiuation.

Since we have a good spark, a good ASVT, amps on the heater, if the DPF is not face plugged with soot and causing over a 2 psi differential pressure, all I can think of is an ARD head.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I WAS TOLD THAT I HAVE TO RESET THE EVENT CODES AND TO DO THAT I NEED FACTORY PASSWORDS IS THIS CORRECT? IF SO HOE CAN I GET THESE PASSWORDS?
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
There are some codes that will need factory passwords to reset. If you need them, it should tell you when you try to clear or reset them.

Have you tried to reset or clear them?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes I just did and it said program cant change settings and the heading at top said factory passwords.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it will take a dealer version of ET to clear them. Sorry. Since you got that message, you have a customer version of ET. Unfortunately, a customer version of ET cannot get factory passwords.