Greg Torseth
Greg Torseth, Mechanic
Experience:  Over 15 years of Agriculture and Construction Equipment repair expierence . Factory Trained
43018108

Instrument panel..all the shutouts (PTO, seat, drive)..fuses..solenoid

I have a JD 4200 HST tractor ... it will not start now, when I turn the key on there are no lights on the instrument panel and when turning the key further to start the engine nothing happens ... I checked the battery and it is good, I put in a new key switch, and I've checked all the shutouts (PTO, seat, drive) still no lights or starting of the engine ... and I also checked all the fuses and they are ok ... could it be a relay? ... maybe a solenoid problem? ... could find the solenoid, where is it? ... any ideas on what might be going-on?

-Louie
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Greg Torseth replied 3 years ago.

Greg Torseth :

would like to help you with this

Greg Torseth :

Do you have 12 volts at the starter? If you do then turn the key to the start position still have voltage?

Customer:

yes 12 at the starter ... did not check with key in start position ... as you know we are having a hurricane now in Mass. ... I'd would otherwise go out and check it but it will need to wait ... the battery is new (a honda battery) and I put the charger on it and after a full charge it still would not turn-on the instrument lights nor turn on the starter ... I'll take all the help I can get on this ... Thanks Greg

Greg Torseth :

do you have 12 at the key switch? You should have 12 at the batt terminal and as you turn the key your x citer wire should get 12 as well

Customer:

Greg,

Customer:

I have not tried anything yet since the storm ... I need to take the body panels off to get at the switch terminals, etc ... I'll check on these conditions hopefully tonight after work

Customer:

I checked the voltage at the starter when the ignition key was turned one click ... it went from 12 to zero volts ... is this a battery problem?

Greg Torseth : To check it throw some jumper cables on it and see if it will crank.
Customer:

I was looking at the relays and pulling and pushing them to see if they were loose ... after, I tried the key and the instrument lights went on and it would turn the starter ... could there be a intermittent short behind the relay-fuse block ... haven't had time to work on it much more this week due to my day job ... is there a trend on these models wrt wireing problems? ... I can see that there are a lot of wires behind the relay-fuse block ... looks like a rat's nest at best ...

Greg Torseth :

Yep you sure are on the right track. i would go back to those relays and with the key on wiggle the relays and wires until the dash goes out again. Then you know were its at.

Greg Torseth :

Please remember to click the ACCEPT button and if I can help further let me know.

Greg Torseth, Mechanic
Experience: Over 15 years of Agriculture and Construction Equipment repair expierence . Factory Trained