daves71
daves71, Fleet Manager
Experience:  35+years working on heavy equipment and heavy duty trucks
8067388

Bobcat: tank..what looked to be a primer bulb when I opened the back

Customer Question

Our Bobcat 773 ran out of fuel. Fuel has been added to the tank but it will not start. I found what looked to be a primer bulb when I opened the back and I squeezed it until it wouldn't squeeze anymore. Am I missing something?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  daves71 replied 5 years ago.
Hi, if you can locate the fuel filter , on the housing that the filter screws on to, there is a bleeder screw on the top of the housing, open the bleeder to allow the air to escape while depressing the primer bulb. then tighten the bleeder. It may take a few times to get the air out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Does it look like a pet cock? There was a screw on the bottom of the fuel filter that I bled before I pumped the primer bulb.
Expert:  daves71 replied 5 years ago.
No, it is a small screw (slotted head ) on the top of the filter housing. The screw on the bottom of the filter is only a water drain ( the filter is also a water separator )
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I've opened the screw on the filter housing more than 10 times. Now I have to charge the battery before I can try again. I even opened the pet cock in-line on the fuel line to bleed any air that may be trapped in the manifold.

Expert:  daves71 replied 5 years ago.
Ok, with the beeder screw closed, pump the bulb 6-8 times , open the screw slightly releasing the air ,repeat until you only get fuel and no air. After you charge the battery , if you have someone to help, pump the bulb while cranking the engine and see if it will start. Are you sure that it really was out of fuel to begin with and that we don't have another problem to deal with?