Ask a Heavy Equipment Repair Mechanic for Answers ASAP
Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to try and help you resolve your problem! Hopefully, together, we can get to the bottom of this !
Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin please?
For your information , I checked your vin number and the next time you visit your international dealer , please mention to them that your truck has an AFC ( authorized field change) that needs to be performed . It has to do with your hvac system and the thermistors
However this is probably not related to the problem in question so please allow me to look further for icon info
The AFC number is XXXXX
try this functional test to see if all is working as it should !
1. Turn the key on, verify the ICON lamp turns on for three seconds, then turns off. At the same time, the software version will flash on the thermostat display for ten seconds.
2. Start the truck and turn the cab temperature control and fans to a desired (moderate) setting.
3. With the hood open, the transmission in neutral, the parking brake set, and the engine still running, turn the cruise control switch on to attempt activating ICON , verifying that the ICON lamp remains turned off.
4. Turn the cruise control switch off and close the hood, leaving the engine running.
5. Turn the cruise control switch on, verify the ICON lamp flashes on and off at a fast rate.
6. Depress the clutch pedal and put the transmission in gear, verify the ICON lamp flashes on and off at a slow rate.
7. Put the transmission back in neutral, verify the ICON lamp remains on (while pulsing off briefly once per second). ICON is now active.
8. Turn the cruise switch off for a second, then on, verify the ICON lamp flashes on and off at a fast rate.
9. Depress the clutch pedal and put the transmission in gear, verify the ICON lamp flashes on and off at a slow rate.
10. Put the transmission back in neutral, verify the ICON lamp remains on (while pulsing off briefly once per second). ICON is now active.
11. Press the On/Mode button on the Cab Thermostat until the inside temperature is displayed.
12. Verify that the inside temperature displayed on the Cab Thermostat is approximately correct.
13. Press the On/Mode button on the Cab Thermostat, verify the outside temperature is displayed and it is approximately correct.
14. Verify, neither the Heat nor Cool indicator is flashing on the Cab Thermostat display (you may need to change the heat or cool set-point to beyond the current cab temperature to stop the heat or cool indicator from flashing).
15. Wait for ICON to shut the engine down, verify the ICON lamp is still illuminated after the engine shuts down (the alternator voltage should be at least 13.5 volts and the oil temperature needs to be over 120 degrees F for ICON to shut the engine down).
16. Using each of the On/Mode, Up, Down and Enter buttons on the Cab Thermostat, turn the heat or cool mode on and change the appropriate set-point so that the Cab Thermostat heat or cool indicator is flashing.
17. Verify that ICON sounds the engine start alarm for 14 seconds and then automatically starts the engine (the ICON lamp should still be illuminated).
18. Release the parking brake, verify the engine shuts down and the ICON lamp turns off.
19. Change the Cab Thermostat set point back to the default setting.
20. Turn the key off.
turned on the key and the icon light did not come on
tried one more time, and the icon light still does not come on
truck starts fine if you start it ? Do you have lots of battery power?
truck starts fine, and batteries are fully charged
Do you have any faults displaying in lcd display in cluster
try key on, press cruise off, and resume at same time to display codes I think
It may be vice versa but I know you should be using 2 cruise switches and pressing them simultaneously to get faults to display
all it said was codes not available from egc
that is for cluster codes -try another combination of steering buttons to obtain body controller codes
try this procedure to set in engine mode :
-To set Engine Mode
1. Idle engine.
2. Set parking brake.
3. Put transmission in neutral.
4. Make sure hood is closed.
5. Turn cruise switch off, then on.
6. Check ICON lamp-should flash quickly.
7. Shift transmission into gear, then back to neutral.
8. Check ICON lamp-should flash slowly (once per second) indicating ICON is now in the engine mode
icon light doesnt flash
Also need to check hood switch to make sure it is making proper contact with hood when hood is closed
any idea where that is?
Not quite sure on your model of truck
could be by hood hinges or at either side where hood closes
will try and look up
try opening and closing hood again to see if that does anything
maybe switch not making proper contact
Do you have an ABS light coming on at all as well
The fuse shown as F11A in the diagram is actually an inline fuse located behind the fuse panel. The ICON module is located behind the passenger kick panel.
i have a diagram here if needed
Let me know what you find !
I can try and find you more diagrams if needed
I would also see if you can find that inline fuse behind the fuse panel and make sure that fuse is ok and has power on both sides
fuse is fine
no abs light
could not find hood switch
ok will try to help find switch
you have power on both sides of fuse?
And did you try opening and closing hood to see if this jogs anything
icon hood switch should be located under hood on the left side splash panel !
you could try jumping switch to see what happens ! It is a 2 wire switch !
it appears to be a level switch, I dont have any way to try to jump the wires though
find the connector , disconnect and use a paperclip to jump at connector
didnt change anything
have you tried disconnecting the batteries for 5 minutes and reconnecting to see if it resets ?
no I haven't, I dont have the tools on board to do that
a 9/16 wrench or an adjustable wrench
have neither, just moved into truck, haven't had a chance to get all my stuff yet
or maybe even try disconnecting the small connectors above the batteries in the battery box and wait 5 min and reconnect . This will disconnect ecm power
I may have to wait until tomorrow to try that, I need to get some sleep, need to be up @ 5:00 to make my delivery
I will try that in the morning, if that doesnt work should i just take it to a shop and have them scan for codes?
yeah we would definitely need to diagnose further
Do you want the other diagrams that i have ?
I may even run it to a company terminal and let them deal with it.
should I hit accept or?
or how many more do you have?
Well , we haven't really resolved your problem yet but if you want to pay me for my services so far , then yes you may
i think one more diagram
I think I will just in case I decide to bring it to a shop, I'd almost rather have them do it, may take me forever to get it figured out
It is totally up to you at this point ! I just wish I could help you further !
well you did give me a lot of things to look at, I will go over them again tomorrow when I have better light for one.
good luck !
thank you, XXXXX XXXXX for your time
I'll be in and out if you need me further
no problem !
My pleasure !