ajpurc, Technician
Experience:  Owner of diesel repair shop and mechanic of 8 years.

check engine ECU next stop

Getting a "check engine ECU next stop" truck is sluggish going up the hills and slow in changing gears! 2005 Volvo 630 with VED 12 Ltr engine and 12 speed meritor auto trannie
Category: Heavy Equipment
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
I am getting a "Check Engine ECU Next Stop" have cleaned the battery connections, alternator connections, plug on speedometer on transmission, re-placed both fuses (and fuse holders) that power the ECU inside battery compartment. no success!
Expert:  ajpurc replied 5 years ago.
Can you read diagnostics through the instrument cluster? On some newer volvos you can navigate to the engine ECU diagnostics through the cluster by using the wiper control arm on the steering column. You can navigate to diagnostics and go to Engine ECU and read the code.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have not been able to find the way to navigate to the diagnostics as you described in your answer, my truck is a 2005 vnl 630, in addition to what I already tried to fix this problem I cleaned the starter connections as someone had advised to ensure all ground connections to be clean and tight, still no success!
Expert:  ajpurc replied 5 years ago.
I believe the "check engine ECU" is telling you that there is a diagnostic code stored in the ECU. You need a scanner to read that code if you cannot access diagnostics through the instrument cluster.