J.R.
J.R., Technician
Experience:  13 years as warranty technician for Detroit Diesel
13636126

I was wondering how to change the hydraulic fluid in my bushhog.

I was wondering how to change the hydraulic fluid in my bushhog. The fluid in my tractor got contaminated with water and I'm assuming its in the system on the bushhog too.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer,

The fluid in the gear boxes on the bush hog are separate from the tractors hydraulics. The tractor hydraulic system runs the lift cylinder to raise and lower the bush hog. The only contaminated fluid will be in the lines from the tractor back to the lift cylinders on the bush hog. The gear boxes on the bush hog are pto driven off of the pto shaft. Drain the fluid from the hydraulic lines and bleed the fluid out of the cylinders and you should be good to go.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hey thanks J.R.
Yea I was aware that the gearbox was not related but was wondering how to bleed the lift cylinder and connecting hose
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
You need to unhook the lines and bleed them and the cylinders and then reconnect them and refill.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So do I need to bleed the air from the lines and cylinder after I reattach to the tractor?
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
The system should be a self bleeding system.If it does not act right then crack the lines open a little bit and bleed the air out of them.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks for your help J. R.!
Expert:  J.R. replied 5 years ago.
Thank you.