Andy, Technician
Experience:  310s and 310t technician licenses, 17 yrs experience, International Diamond Certified Tech 7 yrs
30303843

Freightliner..my check engine light came on with a ecu 128 message

I have an '05 Freightliner Columbia with a DDEC V engine. This morning my check engine light came on with a ecu 128 message. It's showing 2 fault codes. One is a PID 411 and the other is SID 146. Seems like it would be a sensor or something. The engine is running fine except it seems to be de-rated. I can only get about 26-28lbs of boost out of it and the power is just not there. Any answers as to what this is would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to try and help you resolve your problem! Hopefully, together, we can get to the bottom of this ! I willtry and look up the meaning of your codes for you !

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

pid 411-Recirculated Engine Exhaust Gas Differential Pressure

Can't seem to find the rest of the code ! Can you write down exactly what you are seeing on display ? I believe there should be an FMI code as well?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I just stopped and turned the engine off for about 5 minutes. Now I just have one fault code. It's the PID 411 code. Also it flashes "-98785.9" when scrolling thru the diagnostic screen.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

411-is recirculated engine exhaust gas differential pressure ! But that is only part of the fault code ! You should have an FMI number! (fault mode indicator) This number tells us what exactly is wrong with the recirculated engine exhaust gas differential pressure!

You may have a sensor that is out of range ! May need to replace the sensor !

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. Finally figured out the FMI code is 0.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

411 fmi 0 means egr delta pressure high

This is the sensor mounted just above the turbo with 2 small metal tubes that connect to it . I will try and find some diagnostic steps for you if you like!

Andy, Technician
Experience: 310s and 310t technician licenses, 17 yrs experience, International Diamond Certified Tech 7 yrs