Andy, Technician
Experience:  310s and 310t technician licenses, 17 yrs experience, International Diamond Certified Tech 7 yrs

A 07 Int, 4300 dt466, with an overheating problem..kick..heated..cap

Customer Question

I am working on a 07 Int, 4300 dt466, with an overheating problem, overheats at road speed 55 runs about 210, 65 runs on up to 230, the driver also noted that in winter would not run any heat till after running several hours, and he could not hear the fan kick in when hot like the other units in fleet, I started with the obvious items, replaced thermostat, old one was stuck about half open when removed, then the next day he said heated right the next day like it should was at t-stat range in about 8-10 mins. all ok till getting to road speed then overtemp, removed the front cap and took a/c condensor out, to access rad, found stopped up with grass and debris, cleaned with condensor wash, and replaced fan clutch, now it still heats up, same as before cools off real quick and no longer has to pull over and sit on side of road, he can just back the speed off and hears fan kick in and doesnt take long cools back down and he's off again. I was going to pull rad out and remove tanks to inspect. I have heard these trucks are bad about this, and this company two others and both the 4300 dt 466's run warm but the 7300 dt466's don't,. can i get a bigger radiator for this truck. all parts to this point have been from international by vin. any help would be greatly appreciated!
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to try and help you resolve your problem! Hopefully, together, we can get to the bottom of this !Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin please?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

ok i will look up vin!

one sec please!

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

So your engine now has a new viscous fan drive !Is that correct!

Is it possible the thermostat was put in upside down?

Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Another good thing to check if you can is the cap on the surge tank ! If you have a tool to check and see if it is able to hold pressure in the cooling system ! This is important because without pressure in the system , the coolant may be able to boil (which causes bubbling throughout the system ) which will reduce the cooling efficiency and cause overheat as well ! Cap must be able to hold the proper amount for that system which I believe is 15 psi ! It should be marked on the cap ! If you can't test it , then I would replace it as it is a common problem with International engines! I have changed many and work for an International dealer ! YOU ALSO WANT TO MAKE SURE THAT YOUR COOLANT MIXTURE IS ABOUT 50/50 , MAYBE 60/40 BUT NOT ANY RICHER THAN THAT OR THAT MAY ALSO CAUSE PROBLEMS ! Let me know if there is anything else I can help you with !
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Another good thing that you can do to help with the cooling efficiency is steam clean the rad thoroughly with a pressure washer at a lower pressure setting and real hot and maybe include a mild detergent to help loosen up the mud that may be caught in the rad fins ! You would continue to steam clean from the fan side out towards the front as much as possible while observing the color of the water dripping down under the rad until it clears up . Continue to do so until wherever you spray , it drips clear water down underneath ! This process could take you a good 1/2 hr before it is sparkling clean throughout the entire rad top to bottom ! You may also spray from the front side of rad towards the inside to clear the mud but any large particles caught in the rad would be better to spray out towards the same way it came into the rad !
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
You may also want to make sure that your shroud is in good condition to increase your fan efficiency! If this all does not help much , then I would consider replacing the waterpump!
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

Hey there ! Just checking in to see how you made out with your overheat problem ! Do you still need help ? I'll be in and out today if you need me further !

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
spoke with international today, they also suggested new water pump they have had several issues and engineering has updated the water pump several times. we installed a new water pump today with no help, we have pulled the front cap today and removed the radiator, heading to the radiator shop in the morning.
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.
Ok! Let me know how it goes ! I am curious to find out where this leads to! Also make sure you get a new cap for the surge tank!
Expert:  Andy replied 5 years ago.

Do you need any further help ? I'll be in and out if you need me!