ebnel
ebnel, Technician
Experience:  master certification diagnostics and repair
29754011

John Deere..fuel tank..I drained tank, replaced fuel filter

Customer Question

I have a 4240 John Deere. Someone put anitfreeze in fuel tank. I drained tank, replaced fuel filter, and replaced fuel. It only starts with staring fluid, then fuel filter shows bubbles blowing, it runs good for a minute, starts blowing smoke out the exhaust and shuts down.
Could fuel pump be bad?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  ebnel replied 5 years ago.

ebnel :

Hello and Thank You for selecting Just Answer,Get back with me if you need more help after reading my answer. You will need to make sure all anti frz got removed from system, remove and flush out all lines injectors,return,feed lines etc. Also make sure fuel is clean in tank,if fuel/anti frz was in return line now that mixture is in fuel tank again. After complete cleanup then you can diagnose possible low fuel pressure, most auto parts stores sell cheap fuel pressure gauge kit, use bleeder port on filter base to connect gauge, verify 3-4 psi fuel pressure while running.

Customer :

Ordered me a fuel pressure guage kit, I'll check it tomorrow. I'll check, but I don't remember seeing a bleeder port on filter base. The fuel filter is glass, and I can see air bubbles blowing up in it.

ebnel :

Your bleeder port is small metal plug at left upper point of filter base.

ebnel :

Or you can make fittings and T in betweem filter and injection pump feed line.

Customer :

I'll let you know tomorrow what I find out, thanks.

ebnel :

Let me know.

Customer :

drained all fuel, flushed all lines, injectors, feed lines, etc. Fuel pump pressure was good 3-4 psi. Found the shutoff valve was shut almost all the way off. That was the problem starving for fuel.

ebnel :

That would do it. Hit accept if my answers were helpful.

Customer :

I don't think the fuel is bad, it looks good, I'm going to try it in my generator. I'll let you know.

ebnel :

Recommend running additive/conditioner with fuel due to any trace of anti-frz could reduce lubrication quality of fuel.