Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,

cummins isx..oil pressure..check engine light and shutdown..oil filter

I got a 2010 pete 388 with a cummins isx motor with 130,000 on it. About 6 mnths ago the truck would start to lose oil pressure 150 hrs into a 300 hour service interval to the point the check engine light and shutdown would come on. Took the truck to pete dealer they said oil filter was plugged and changed it pressure returns to normal for another 150 - 200 hrs. We use rotella oil and fleetguard filters. The problem is still happening so I took the truck to cummins directly and left it there for two weeks. They checked the computer, gauges, put it on dyno, replaced oil pressure sensor but didn't look at filter, said they couldn't find anything wrong. They said drive it till it happens again so I did and was right near them when it happened took it in with all codes. So the trucks been there a week and all they can find is a soot clogged oil filter. They don't have the slightest clue why this is happening and now they are waiting for a cummins engineer. Any ideas would help me greatly if cummins can't figure out there own engine i don't know who will. when its not having this problem the truck runs great. Could it be a problem with the regeneration because I have driven other isx's and my truck very rarely regenerates thank you dave
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  DR.Cummins replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today.yes we are having issues with the isx pulugging filters for unkown reasons. Contact the cummins DFSE for more info. This is an issue that cummins is aware. Of and there is no fix yet (too new). Get the cummins DFSE involved
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have 3 of these engines in the fleet and this one is the only one doing this why would only one be doing this? what is the cummins dfse ? what should i do for the time being change to a different filter and run it until it blows up? im just really confused a $140,000 truck in the shop for 3 weeks now with no idea from anyone what is goin on thank you
Yes we have 3 of the same issues in my shop, there are no causes yet . I guess it is hit or miss. The DFSE is the distribitor field service engineer. He works direct with the factory engineers. They will have better answers. These engines are plugging filters for un kown reasons and droping oil psi. If you change the filter it's fine for a while . As I said Cummins is aware of the issue and working on it. Contact the cummins Dfse. Only deal with Cummins direct forget a pete dealer