sevn103, Journeyman
Experience:  Cummins,International certified diesel mechanic

Freightliner Columbia The engine fan on my 2007 Freightliner

The engine fan on my 2007 Freightliner Columbia, Detroit Diesel Series 60 engine, comes on before the engine is even at operating temperature. The check engine light also comes on at that moment. It then goes off within a minute or 2 and everything seems to be normal. This is occurring more often as time goes on even after truck has been at operating temperature. Can you tell me what is likely in need of repair or replacement? Thank you.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  sevn103 replied 5 years ago.
Engine fan does not come on just for coolant temp, all operating parameters can have a factor when fan is engaged, but if you engine light is coming on, 1 sensor could be going out or a wiring problem that's kicking fan on and causing your engine light. You will need to get the truck on a scanner to see what's going on to properly diagnose. Before you take it in give it a visual inspection to the wiring for any rub throughs, you might find something.