Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,

Cyl..the correct way to bleed gen fuel sys..injection pump..injectors

Onan 20 kw generator, 4 cyl diesel motor, guessing age is 1989, in a 1989 Hatteras 65 sports fishing boat. What is the correct way to bleed gen fuel sys ? Fuel supply in thru a racor 500 filter to an electric fuel pump to injection pump and into injectors. Seems to me not enough fuel out of injectors to run. Is injection pump bleed -able?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  DR.Cummins replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today. The quickest way is to fill filter for the gen, fill the racor, loosen all injector lines at the injectors crank the gen several times to get all the air out, tighten each fuel line once a steady stream of fuel is observed, tighten all connections and the gen will start.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Look, I know how to bleed injectors, been there, done that. My problem is not enough fuel is getting to injectors. I want to know if one can bleed the injection pump itself.
Ok if you been there done that, that you would know that with the fuel lines at the injector loose you are bleeding the injection pump along with the entire system up to the injectors.make sure the filters are full. Keep cranking!