Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
30244710

i have 1982 massey ferguson tractor, MDL.285 (81 hp) 4 cyl.

Customer Question

i have 1982 massey ferguson tractor, MDL.285 (81 hp) 4 cyl. I t will not start. What are some of the possible problems?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help. Can you clarify the no start. Will it run if you pull it off, it just won't turn with the starter??

curtis b :

I need to know if it is electrical or a problem with the fuel system.

Customer:

neither

curtis b :

ok, help me out here

Customer:

We tried pulling it off but it did not work, the fan turned only when we pushed it backward

curtis b :

Can you turn the engine over with a wrench to be sure it is not locked up?

curtis b :

When you pulled it was it in low gear or one of the higher gears? Needs to be in higher gear ratio.

curtis b :

Will the battery and starter turn the engine?

curtis b :

When was the last time it ran?

Customer:

The person helping me had it in low gear I believe. The battery was dead. It wasn't running for several months per the individual I boought it from

Customer:

Also the left rear wheel was stuck

Customer:

The wheel was dragging when we were pushing the tractor

curtis b :

Battery needs to be good, the cables need to be checked, especially the negative cable at the battery and the frame. It would be good to us voltmeter to verify that power is getting to the starter solenoid. Then the unit has the one neutral switch that needs to be checked. Key should engage starter and crank engine. If you get no smoke on cranking, then the fuel system needs to be checked, a new set of fuel filters should be installed and good fuel in the fuel tank, bleed the air from system with the primer pump and get fuel to the injection pump. loosen the inkector lines at the injectors, crank engine with the stop cable in the run position until you get fuel coming out each injector line. Then tighten the injection lines and start unit and let run at half throttle to clear any remaining air from system.

curtis b :

Thw eheel dragging will be the brake. It will need to be freed up, could just be the linkage of the mechanical brake system.

Customer:

If it have these problems would it be the reason it did not start when we tried to pull it?

Customer:

Do you know the demension of this tractor?

curtis b :

If there is air in the fuel lines, it will not start. Here is site with the specs on unit.

Customer:

Would the fan/engine turn when pulling the tractor?

curtis b :

I had an old 185 that had the 3 cylinder perkins engine and it had sat not running for over 10 years. other than replacing the water pump and fan belt and filters, it came back to life and worked out well.

curtis b :

If your water pump is locked up, the fan will not turn. Otherwise , yes it should turn when the unit is pulled.

Customer:

How would you release the water pump?

curtis b :

You can remove the fan belt, but if the water pump is locked up, it will need to be replaced.

curtis b :

The alternator is the fan belt adjustment.

Customer:

Any visible sign that will tell me if the pump is locked up?

curtis b :

No, just remove the belt and try to turn the pulley, it should turn free.

curtis b :

Actually , turn the fan blade, it is attached to the front of he water pump.

curtis b :

Here is list of manuals , you might want one.

Customer:

The tractor is in AR and I am in VA. I am trying to get it pulled to SC. I will try what you told me once I get the tractor home.I am trying to load the vehicle on a flatbed but because I can't get it started it is not possible to steer the tractor. Any way to steer the tractor with it running?

curtis b :

It should steer, it just would be very hard to steer without power steering working, but it should steer.

curtis b :

If nothing else the wheels can be pushed around with big bar to change direction.

Customer:

We tried but it just freely. If you disconnect the power steering will it steer? I was told it want steer until the engine is running.

curtis b :

The steering gear with steering wheel attached, is an emergency pump, you have to turn it many rounds, but it should slowly turn the wheels. Last resort would be to remove the steering cylinder and move the wheels manually.

curtis b :

Removing the hoses on the cylinder would do the same thing as disconnecting it.

curtis b :

Maybe there is no oil in he power steering pump?

Customer:

It is not hard to turn, but rather it is turning freely. I am understanding if I disconnect the hose I will be able to turn it. Will this help when a wrecker is used to pull the vehicle on the flatbed?

Customer:

The problem that they are having is when pulling the tractor on the wrecker there is no way to steer the tractor.

curtis b :

The wheels should be able to be bumped around with a big hammer or pried with a bar to change direction.

curtis b :

The wrecker can't pickup the front and back it on the trailer?

Customer:

Hi Crutis,

Customer:

Thanks for all of you help

Curtis B., service manager
Experience: 30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Were you able to get it home?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hey Curtis,

I was told that the tractor is leaking water in the oil? What do you think is causing the probelm?

I was told that the power steering was leaking?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Coolant in the oil is the typical cracked head or bad cylinder block. Have you verified this? Before judging the unit, I would want to change the fluids and get it running to see what needs to be done, if anything. The power steering is just most likely a hose , which will need to be replaced. Then if you get coolant in the oil, I would remove the oil pan, and pressure the coolant system and look for leak in crankcase to determine where leak may be. Otherwise you really don't know where to look, when it is disassembled.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Curtis.

This was an excellent suggestion.

Rob

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.