FIX-IT
FIX-IT, Technician
Experience:  ENGINES-ELECTRICAL
35815791

Detroit..valves..injectors,Jake brakes) Thank-you

Hi my question is how to do an overhead to engine o a Detroit engine series 60 D deck II 475hp (adjust valves,injectors,Jake brakes) Thank-you.
Hello and welcome to just answer.i can help you with this..i'll need the serial and the model number of your engine pls.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Fix It. All I know is that it is a series 60 Detroit 475 HP I do not have serial number is XXXXX not supossed to be the same procedure like all Detroit series 60 let me know please Thankyou

yes the ddec 2 is like ddec 3

but you'll need the proper injector height pin to do the injectors,thats why i need the engine serial number.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can you let me know the procedure I know you need the serial # XXXXX the engine but right now I dont have a particular engine this is something I will like to learn about so for now if you can let me know the steps for the overhead and how to adjust the injectors i know I will need a serial for proper adjusting tool can you do it that way so I can get you pay Thankyou.

Adjust the valves and set the fuel injector heights as follows:‪

1. Disconnect starting power for engine.
  2. Remove the engine valve rocker cover as outlined. Refer to "1.6.2 Removal and Cleaning of One-piece Rocker Cover For Diesel Engines Only" for one-piece, refer to "1.6.3 Removal and Cleaning of Two-piece Rocker Cover For Diesel Engines Only" for two-piece rocker cover, and refer to "1.6.5 Removal and Cleaning of Three-piece Rocker Cover" for three-piece rocker cover.
  3. Insert a 3/4 in. drive breaker bar or ratchet into the square hole in the center of the crankshaft pulley.
  4. Bar the engine in the direction of rotation and observe the intake and exhaust valve rollers at any cylinder that is close to TDC (top dead center). See Figure "Valve Overlap Period" . Choose a cylinder that has the exhaust valves almost completely closed. Just as the exhaust valves are closing, the intake valves will start to open. This is the valve overlap period. Click to see this graphic in a separate window

1. Exhaust Valve Rocker Arm Assembly‪

4. Rocker Arm Shaft‪

2. Fuel Injector Rocker Arm Assembly‪

5. Cylinder Head‪

3. Camshaft‪

6. Intake Rocker Arm Assembly‪

Figure 3. Valve Overlap Period

5. Stop engine rotation at the time of valve overlap. Note which cylinder this is, and follow the sequence listed in Table "Valve Lash and Injector Height Adjustment Sequence" to correctly set valves and injector heights. The timing can be started with any cylinder in valve overlap.

Cylinder with Valve Overlap‪

Set Valves on Cylinder No.‪

Set Injector Height on Cylinder No.‪

6‪

1‪

5‪

2‪

5‪

3‪

4‪

3‪

6‪

1‪

6‪

2‪

5‪

2‪

4‪

3‪

4‪

1‪

Table 6. Valve Lash and Injector Height Adjustment Sequence

NOTICE:

Never set the valves and injector of the same cylinder at the same time. Doing this will result in engine damage.‪

6. To adjust the intake valves, insert a 0.203 mm (0.008 in.) feeler gage between the tip of the valve stem and the valve button at the end of the rocker arm. See Figure "Intake Valve Adjustment" . Click to see this graphic in a separate window

1. Intake Valve‪

4. Locknut‪

2. Valve Button‪

5. Feeler Gage‪

3. Intake Rocker Arm Assembly‪

6. Tip of Intake Valve‪

Figure 4. Intake Valve Adjustment

7. Loosen the locknut, and turn the adjusting set screw until the feeler gage produces an even smooth pull between the valve stem and valve button.
  8. Torque the locknut to 41 - 47 N·m (30 - 35 lb·ft) and remove the feeler gage. Reinsert the feeler gage to ensure that the adjustment did not change when the locknut was tightened. Readjust as necessary.
  9. The exhaust valves are adjusted the same way as the intake valves, except use a 0.660 mm (0.026 in.) feeler gage (1991 and later models only). Early models (pre-1991 models) use 0.508 mm (0.020 in.) feeler gage as listed in Table "Checking Tolerance Chart" . See Figure "Exhaust Valve Adjustment" . Click to see this graphic in a separate window

1. Location of Identification Groove‪

5. Locknut‪

2. Valve Button‪

6. Exhaust Rocker Arm Assembly‪

3. Allen Wrench‪

7. Feeler Gage‪

4. Adjusting Screw‪

8. Tip of Exhaust Valve‪

Figure 5. Exhaust Valve Adjustment

Note: Effective with all 1991 model year engines, a change was made to the exhaust valve material which requires a different exhaust valve lash setting. Refer to "1.4 Valves, Springs, Guides, Inserts, Seals and Rotators" for exhaust valve identification.

10. After each set of intake and exhaust valves is adjusted, adjust the corresponding injector listed in Table "Valve Lash and Injector Height Adjustment Sequence" . Injector height settings and tools are listed in Table "Checking Tolerance Chart" .
  11. For natural gas applications the valves are adjusted the same way as on the diesel engine, except that a 0.036 in. (0.914 mm) feeler gage is used for exhaust valves and a 0.011 in. (0.279 mm) feeler gage is used for intake valves.
  12. Adjust the fuel injector height for the engine models in parentheses by placing the small end of the height gage in the hole provided in the fuel injector body, with the flat of the gage toward the fuel injector plunger. See Figure "Using Timing Gage on DDEC II, DDEC III, and DDEC IV" . The injector height settings for Series 60 engines are listed in Table "Checking Tolerance Chart" .
  13. Loosen the fuel injector rocker arm locknut and turn the adjusting set screw until the extended part (flag) of the gage will just pass over the top of the injector follower. An accurate "feel" will be developed. The objective is to adjust all six injectors to the same feel.
  14. Torque the locknut to 41 - 47 N·m (30 - 35 lb·ft). Check the adjustment with the height gage and, if necessary, readjust the set screw. Remove the height gage. See Figure "Fuel Injector Height Adjustment" . Click to see this graphic in a separate window

1. Height Gage Flag‪

4. Set Screw‪

2. Height Gage‪

5. Locknut‪

3. Allen Wrench (3/16")‪

6. Fuel Injector Follower‪

Figure 6. Fuel Injector Height Adjustment

15. Refer to the adjusting sequence listed in Table "Valve Lash and Injector Height Adjustment Sequence" and proceed to the next cylinder in the adjustment sequence.
  16. Bar the engine over in the direction of normal rotation until the next cylinder in the adjustment sequence is in its valve overlap period.
  17. Repeat the valve adjustment and fuel injector height adjustments procedures until all the valves and fuel injectors have been adjusted.
  18. Replace the engine rocker cover.
  19. Reconnect starting power to the engine
  20. There you are my friend..
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Just to be clear on something, for the injector adjustment Just find the overlap point on any given cylinder and follow the sequence after I have finish the valves right?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

yes,

follow the sequence,overlap on 6,valves on 1 and injector on 5 and so on ..

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The tool for the injectors adjustment height where do I find it I know I need the engine serial # XXXXX XXXXX a diferent tool for every engine or 1 tool can be used for diferent series 60 as long as it applies and also for the Jake brakes do they need to be adjusted at the time of reinstall? Thankyou

i do believe there are 4 or 5 injector height tools

they length is usually related to h.p. rating

with a serial number i'll be able to tell you which one you need.