Kevin
Kevin, Technician
Experience:  I am a John Deere Ag Tech with over 10 years of expirence.
32685367

John Deere..tractor..JD..all the wiring is OK as far as continuity

I have a 2005 John Deere 6120 Premium. The PTO has an intermittent fault - it stops working, with a "Fault in Rear PTO circuit - please consult your dealer" warning appearing on the panel, along with the numbers 302135 and 31 BCU. The problem often appears when the tractor is cold in the morning, and if left sitting in the sun for a few hours it sometimes starts up, although it has stopped when hot too.
The local JD mechanic is fairly sure that all the wiring is OK as far as continuity - luckily he was here once when it was inoperative - and he is reasonably sure that it is a BCU fault, but not quite sure enough to recommend I go and buy a new $1200 BCU.
So, clever me thought I'd source a BCU from the US (I'm in Australia) as they are considerably cheaper. I did this and fitted it... now the PTO works but I cannot select any gears and the hydraulics do not respond!
Can you offer some advice here? Does my new BCU simply need a new software upload, or is it totally incompatible?

Kevin :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can help you with your question.

Kevin :

Do you by chance know the part number of the BCU that you installed?

Kevin :

Also if you have it your tractor serial number would help me confirm if the controller needs programing.

Customer:

Just one moment and I will check...

Kevin :

Thank you

Customer:

BCU4: AL200024

Kevin :

Give me just a moment and I will double check the number. Do you by chance have the tractor serial number?

Kevin :

I don't mean to have you running all over :-)

Customer:

6-ITA-313764

Customer:

If that isn't the correct number the tractor isn't too far away

Kevin :

It should start out LV6130 or L0 located on the black tag on the left side of the frame.

Customer:

OK... Give me a few minutes... sorry for the wait

Kevin :

Not a problem

Customer:

LO6120G453563

Kevin :

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX just a moment and I will check.

Kevin :

Will your tractor move at all?

Customer:

Only with the original BCU installed

Kevin :

Are you getting any codes currently?

Customer:

The PTO warning is currently on the panel. Just occasionally it won't select a gear even with that BCU, normally first up in the morning, almost like it won't let it move until it warms up

Kevin :

It looks like they had some trouble with BCU's for a while and have gone through several different part numbers and software versions. I also see where some versions of BCU software are not compatible with the tractors EPC software. It sounds like most of the time they will set a left hand reverser error code and stop or simply fail to move at all.

Customer:

When I had the replacement BCU installed, I also got a couple of other warning lights on the panel, like an overheat light and the handbrake light, even when it was definitely off

Kevin :

The BCU part number you installed looks to be correct for both eurpean and american versions.

Customer:

OK, so should I try getting my local JD mechanic to reinstall the software in the BCU?

Kevin :

What I suspect is that the BCU you recieved came with North American version software on it. If you were to get both your EPC controller and your BCU controller software updated by your local dealer you should be in good shape.

Customer:

OK, I'll try that, and give you a call if there are any further issues. Thanks for the help!

Kevin :

Just let me know. If that doesn't do the trick let me know although I suspect that will get you up and running.

Kevin :

Thanks

Customer:

Thanks, Kevin.

Kevin :

My pleasure, best of luck.

Kevin :

opps I should setup the accpt side.

Kevin :

Thanks,