Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts

I am considering to buy an Oliver 1950 GM Diesel tractor in

I am considering to buy an Oliver 1950 GM Diesel tractor in New York state. I have not yet seen the tractor, however, the owner has given me the amount of work done to the engine in 2010. I will list what he sent me and I would like a estimate of the cost of this work that was done in 2010. I appreciate your help.
1. Rebuilt the Detroit 4-53 engine
2. The cranked measured good, +/- .001
3. New main bearings
4. New connecting rod bearings
5. new pistons, sleeves, rings, wrist pins
6. Cam was ground
7. Head was gone through completely
8. New valves (4 valve head) and guides
9. N65 injectors (original were N50)
10. Out of frame gasket kit

1. Replaced shifting fork
2. Replaced shifting collars
3. Replaced some gears
4. Replaced all bearings associated with what was repaired
5. Replaced all oil seals and 0-rings in Hydra Power
6. Had flywheel turned
7. Installed new clutch
8. Rebuilt pressure plate
(there was never an issue with the the clutch or Hydra Power, tractor was open with transmission repair so decided to go one step further)
9. Replaced oil seals and O-rings in transfer case

1. Replaced the hydrulic pump
2. Rebuilt steering cylinders and steering valve (char-Lyn Pump)
Over the years he rebuilt the water pump and replaced gaskets, oil seals, and 0-rings onXXXXX

He and his father want 11,000 dollars for the tractor. I think that I may have found a gem as I am an Oliver collector. What do you thinK? Problem is that I am 1200 miles away in Iowa and it will cost big time to have the tractor transported from New York to Iowa.

Dave Boelman
Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help. Today it would cost $6000.00 just to do the engine. The tractor transmission work could bypass that. It all sounds good, but the N65 injectors are too much for the 4-53. Too much fuel. You would only find N65s in a turbo engine. I wouldn't be in a big hurry to meet their price, I think you can but it for less. Sounds like they have got there fun out of it and now would like to get on to another project. I was A Detroit tech., and have built engines in the Oliver. I think it is a great application! Thanks.