Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts

A John Deere 2320 tractor, it..dies..fuel filter..ignition switch

Customer Question

I have a John Deere 2320 tractor, it will start and run ok, then when I push the throtle up to mow, it cuts back, loses power and sometimes dies, I have changed the diesel gas, and put a new fuel filter in, checked the air filters, they are ok, checked the ignition switch and it is ok, we even put a fuel pump on and bypassed the one on there, check the air hole in the gas cap and it is open. We are at a loss, are there fuel enjectors on the tractor, the tractor will run at low throtle and when pushed up half way is when it starts to lose power. Any sugestions, what else to check. Thanks for your response....Betty C.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help.

Full Size Image

curtis b :

The indication is that it is starving for fuel. The fuel transfer pump is mounted right on the side of the injection pump. Item # XXXXX if you can make up a test line from the inlet on the transfer pump to drop back into the top of the fuel tank, This will eliminate the fuel suction system and see if that is your problem. If it is, then we need to look at each hose, filter, and clamps all the way back to and including the tank. You could have something in the tank suction tube keeping the fuel restricted. Let me know. Thank you.