Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
30708357

Hi, Can I instal turbo on non turbo cat 3208 /210 hp.I badly

Customer Question

Can I instal turbo on non turbo cat 3208 /210 hp.I badly need 40 hp more
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

It is possible to install a turbo onto your engine but it would most likely cause the engine to have a failure. The reason I say this is because there are differences in the fuel systems that are used and the pistons are different as well. Sorry, I know you were hoping for better information.

Please let me know if you have more questions.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is in my boat.Lot of people increase fuel rate but black smoke apear so I think that small turbo will help especaly with EGT???
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the information.

You are correct, when the fuel is turned up the engine will have black smoke due to the lack of air. By adding a turbo you would be able to get enough air to the engine to burn the fuel. However, this increased power will put a greater load on the pistons and could cause them to fail.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As far I now The diference is 3 ring piston and more space on top.Im looking for 40-50 hp only becauuse boat get on plane with full trottle
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
That is the difference that i am aware of as well.

I would just be worried that the pistons would be overloaded.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK in case that I switch for turbo 3 ring pistons is it necessery enything more
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
I think that is it. There is nothing else I can think of.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok Im very satisfied please let my now code of that pistons
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
Could you elaborate on your last post. I am not sure what you are asking.

Please let my now code of my pistons?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need cat number of piston that Im going to change like Arr. number
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
I see. I will do some digging and try to find a piston number. Be back soon.
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
The kit number that I am seeing is(NNN) NNN-NNNN It shows this as a 3 ring piston for a turbocharged engine. I would contact your local Cat dealer to confirm this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok And finally I have Holse new turbo charger.IMy pump is 4N149.If I apply this turbo and get max fuel with turbo pistons what I can get,what is your oppinion
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
It is hard to say exactly how much more power your engine will have but I would think it would be very noticable.
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience: 23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi,me again,are You online
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
Yes. Sorry for the delay. I will reply to your other question.