Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
30244710

I have a New Holland LX885 skid steer, super boom. Can you

I have a New Holland LX885 skid steer, super boom.
Can you tell me what is the purpose of the white circle with the small hole in the middle of it?
It is on the left hand side of the display panel of warning lights above your head. It seems as though a warning buzzer noise is coming from it. What would this be indicating?
The engine is cutting out as though it is not getting fuel or is sucking air. I have changed the fuel filter and bled it many times. It starts and runs for about 10 to 20 seconds and then cuts out again.
Jim
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help. The circle with the hole is the warning buzzer. Do you have any other warning lights or codes showing? Does the unit shut off? All points to the hydrostatic pressure switch problem. New Holland has had bad switches in this location for years, they keep changing numbers and suppliers. The switch is located on the firewall behind the engine on a hose coming from the hydrostatic pump. It is just on the end of the hose.

curtis b :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Hello Curtis. Thanks for your help. No warning lights have come on at all. It is just the beeping buzzer. The buzzer did not come on at first. It just shut down for no reason. I would start it again it would run for about 10 seconds and shut down again. After changing the fuel filter it did the same thing. If it is the switch you have stated is it possible to fix them or operate without it temporarily just so I can use it before I can get a part delivered. What does the switch do or what is its purpose.

Customer:

Thanks Jim

curtis b :

Its purpose is to indicate a lose of hydraulic pressure to the hydro-stat. I believe it is a two wire switch , but not sure if it is a break or make switch. You could try unhooking one wire and see if it will operate. I have never seen anything but a multifunctioning switch, never a hydro-stat problem.

curtis b :

If that doesn't work, put both wires one one pole and try it.

Customer:

I disconnected one wire and it ran for about 40 min so it would seem you are quite correct with your suggestion/advice. I will run it again tomorrow and then reconnect the wire to prove that the problem is a faulty switch. I will tell you after that what the outcome is. (I assume where you said multifunctioning switch you meant malfunctioning or faulty switch). I really appreciate your help. Thanks Jim

curtis b :

I was service manager for New Holland dealer, and my field techs always had one on hand to repair units in the field!! Let me know. Your welcome, from Texas.

Customer:

Hello again. I worked the machine again this morning with the wire disconnected for about 40 minutes with no problems. I then reconnected the wire and started it and ran it for about 5 minutes and then switched it off because I had to go elsewhere. So it is working again with the wire connected but maybe if the switch is faulty it may work correctly sometimes and not at other times. We will buy the switch and put the knew one in and assume we will have no further troubles. Thanks again for your help. Jim Queensland Australia

curtis b :

I hope it works out. Thank you.