DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
28984014

I Have a Cummins Isx engine and i changed the gear cover gasket

I Have a Cummins Isx engine and i changed the gear cover gasket and now i need a "dummy's guide to cummins isx timing" some step by step instructions easy to understand. I have already purchased the timing kit (the wedges and the pin).

Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today.

Timing Wedges:

The timing code is located on the engine dataplate.

• First number - injector wedge
  • Second number - valve wedge.

Rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the "insert pin" mark on the outside diameter of engine vibration damper is aligned with the mark on the gear housing.

Insert the pin in the hole in the pin boss.

The green band on the timing pin will be lined up with the surface of the timing pin boss of the block.

The pin is not correctly seated in the crank notch if the green band is either completely visible outside the block, or is not visible at all.

Lock the crankshaft in place with the crankshaft locking pin

Make sure the wedges with the proper angles are used and that the wedges are properly seated in their installed position.

Insert the correct timing wedge to lock the injector camshaft. Lightly tap the top of the timing wedge with a mallet to be sure it is properly seated (there is a flat spot on each cam see pic below)

pin location and cam wedge below look for flat spot on cam's

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
And thats all i have to do. after i put the pin in and the corect wedges put the gears on and thats it take the pin and wedges back out and its timed?
thats it. This is base engine timing. you have the gear train installation info correct
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you Dr. Cummins you've been really helpfull this past few days.
any time thats why i'm i'm here. Thanks again