Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
30244710

I have a 1995 Atlas Copco XAS 90 JD. I have air in the fuel

I have a 1995 Atlas Copco XAS 90 JD.
I have air in the fuel line. Because of this the motor won't run.
How do I go about bleeding the air out and getting fuel to the injectors.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help. Was the unit ran out of fuel? Start with the fuel primer pump or transfer pump, what ever you want to call it. You want to find the bleeder either on the filter or the injector pump in line, open the bleeder and pump the primer until you have gotten all the air out all the way to the injection pump. Then tighten bleeder. Now loosen the lines at the injectors, and crank the engine until you have fuel squirting at each line, tighten up the lines and it should start. If this doesn't sound like your engine, can you get the engine numbers? Thank you.

Customer:

The engine ran great until I screwed the bleeder/plug out on the bottom of the final fuel filter. On the filter it has H2o writen on it, so I thought I would drain the filter to remove any water that may be in the filter. After draining the filter I started the engine, It ran for about 20 seconds then quit. This is when I relized I must have air in the lines.

Customer:

The mechanical fuel pump has a lever on the side, I believe that must be for pumping fuel back to the filter. Is the injector pump the part on the right side of the engine that all the injector lines come to? If so, I'm not sure where the bleeder is on it. The ?John Deere serial # XXXXX XXXXX 4039DF

Customer:

This Atlas Copco XAS 90 JD is a 185CFM compressor

curtis b :

TP41/TP41809________UN01JAN94.gif
Full Size Image

curtis b :

THis is the injection pump, the pump with the lever is the transfer pump/primer pump. There is a small plug on the top cover of the injection pump, that is the bleed screw. It is between #24 and # XXXXX they don't show a number for it , but that is the bleed port.

Customer:

On this injector pump, there is no small plug on the top cover. This pump is a Stanadyne, Mod.#85 DB2435-4972, Serial#(NNN) NNN-NNNN RE-49360. This pump has an electric wire running from it which appears to be going to the hour meter.

curtis b :

Ok, just loosen the line going into the pump from the filter.

Customer:

Got it going. Runs great. Curtis thank you for your help. One last question, regarding the fuel filter that has a little down spout on the bottom and H2o writen on it, does this fuel filter automaticly seperate the water out of the fuel and then spit it out through the bottom spout? Should I not be draining it by hand? The filter reads, John Deere Final Filter # XXXXX

curtis b :

No, you should drain it by hand, just loosen it enough for water to exit, and close before any air can enter.

Curtis B., service manager
Experience: 30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts