DR.Cummins
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience:  16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
28984014

That had a 2003 isx with 630,000 miles on it when it..intalled..turbo

i have a 2003 international 9200i that had a 2003 isx with 630,000 miles on it when it decided to quit. I ve recently intalled a 2005 isx but reused the computer and some other various components off of the 03. ive run into an issue with the vgt turbo though. when i first got it back it ran great "bobtail",about 300 miles. i took a load as a test run and after about twenty miles or so there was a loud whistling sound that was coming from the turbo area. ive gone through all the hoses and found nothing apparent or wrong so to speak. my local shop has it now and they have been trying to help me sort out the problems, however we have been unsuccesful obtaining any diagnostic info regarding the turbo and the various sensors that work in conjunction. i know that this is not very decriptive in the entirity of all info.XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  DR.Cummins replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer! I would be more than happy to assist you today.no codes , what is the engine serial number now, and the ecm part (P/N) on the eng now
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i will have to get the info tomorrow

ok

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

engine serial # XXXXX

ecm #3682729

The existing control valve and filter shutoff valve assembly will no longer be assembled on production engines but will remain available as Service items only. The engine serial number first for engines built with the new components is 79031440

The new, Turbocharger Control Valve - Low Mount, system will not require an air filter. However, the vehicle must be equipped with an air dryer to meet engine installation requirements.

The vehicle air supply will be plumbed directly to the turbocharger control valve at the inlet port .In addition, a new electronic control module (ECM) has been released with circuit changes to accommodate the new turbocharger control valve logic. The new ECM is a CM870, Part Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN and can be used on previously built ISX CM870 engines. However, the existing ISX CM870 ECM, Part Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN is not forward compatible and can not be used in conjunction with engines assembled with the new turbocharger control valve.

As with previous ISX CM870 engines, the electronic control Module (ECM) sends a pulse width modulated (PWD) signal to the turbocharger control valve to control the variable geometry actuator mounted on the turbocharger. The turbocharger control valve modulates air pressure to the variable geometry actuator on the turbocharger. Thus, as the signal increases, more air pressure is applied to the variable geometry actuator.

A new engine harness is required to interface with the ECM and a new air control line is required to interface with, the turbocharger control valve and the VGT turbocharger.

The new turbocharger control valve has two new Fault Codes:

• Fault Code 2384 VGT Actuator Driver Circuit - Voltage Below Normal, or Shorted to Low Source
  • Fault Code 2385 VGT Actuator Driver Circuit - Voltage Above Normal, or Shorted to High Source

The wiring diagram,(NNN) NNN-NNNN03, has been revised to reflect the new circuitry of the low mount turbocharger control valve. It will also include specifics on the new fault codes, 2384 and 2385, associated with the new low mount turbocharger control valve.

you should makemsure the correct calibration is in the ecm for the05 engine. you will have problems if the 03 calibration is contorling the 05 engine, and the correct code for this engine to run properly is

ECM CodeAB10418.09

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so in english i need to replace the harness and the actuator valve? when we plug the computer to the truck the old engine info comes up, so your saying we have to reprogram it essentially?
yes you you should start with the recalibration, AB10418.09 or if there is a newer revision put the latest in. the shop should be able to do it, and the parameters also would need to be changed or looked at to make sure they are correct. another words the ecm is not configured to run a KW and you have it in a IH
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

according to the numbers i gave you this engine was in a kw?

if i have the ecm that was on this engine originally would that help? the shop that did the swap is willing to send it to me.

No, It won't matter, because even know the ecm is the same part number the calibration is different, they need to change the calibration and set up the ecm for the IH truck configuration. not a KW
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i don't understand where the kw info is coming into play. they said they took the motor out of another international. they reused my ecm part#(NNN) NNN-NNNN they are double checking the part number on the other ecm to see what it is. if its(NNN) NNN-NNNNand they never reprogrammed it or the truck,where would that leave us possibly. would we need to replace any hard parts also. im also concerned that the valve on the driver side that is by the air compressor that has the steel braided line leading over the engine into what looks like a distribution block then to the turbo, but the valve may not be correct for the 05. another variable in the mix.
i used KW as an example..... i didn't know it came out of it. the ecm is than set to run in an IH but it is not the right ecm calibration for that engine, There for it must be re calibrated to correctly run the engine, you can't just take a 03 ecm calibration and put it on an 05 engine and expect it to properly function, The valve is the turbo control valve, this controls the actuator on the turbo to open and close depending on the air pressure, given . If you hear air leaking from this valve it is bad.
DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Experience: 16 Years working on Cummins Diesel engines,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i think i get what your going at. either reprogram the 03 ecm thats on the engine now or could i use the 05 ecm that was on the 05 engine and not have to reprogram it? we dont hear air leaking from that valve,its coming from the turbo area. i replaced that valve a year ago though cause it was leaking. it sounds like the turbo is blowing off excess pressure, and i guess because the ecm is an 03 trying to tell an 05 engine what to do.

You are correct in saying put the original ecm on the engine and remove the 03 ecm. But the part numbers are the same and all it needs is the correct calibration. This could be the cause of your problems, you must get this straightened out before you proceed further. Or you will be chasing issues that would of been resolved with a simple fix.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
thanks for the help,pardon my ignorance. we will try your recommendations out on monday.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is it possible to figure out info pertaining to mileage and hours of use with this 05 engine? the 05 ecm perhaps?
i can tell you it was a fleet veh, and was probably taken care of. the original ecm would have all that info stored in it, and cannot be erased. Just ask the place who has the ecm to give you a FULL ecm printout including everything, here is some of the service work performed and the engine data plate info
BASE ENGINE INFORMATION
UpfitOriginal
Engine Serial Number79112376
Shop Order #SO33528
PlantJEP - JAMESTOWN ENGINE PLANT
Build Date03 Jun 2005
Warranty Start Date26 Aug 2005
Customer Number56580
Customer NameCARDINAL LOGISTI
ECM CodeAB10418.09
Fuel Pump Part #4088507
Fuel Pump CalibrationP431
Film CardSS
Engine Config #D103004BB18
CPL #CPL8520
Marketing Model NameISX 435ST
Service Model NameISX CM870

ok not much service work

July 27, 2007Sun State International TrucksJuly 26, 2007227858 miles
sensor replcaement

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ill have the ecm in my hands soon enough. after we get these issues fixed. what are the steps i need to take to increase the hp to say a 525.
HA, change the calibration in the ecm, give me a min and i will give you a calibration code to use, But you have 435 hp now and without changing and hard parts (injectors,pistons< turbo,) you only might get 475HP out of it. let me check before i go further
ok sorry if i took so long, i have to make sure it is correct. based on your current CPL # XXXXX you can MAX out the HP to 500HP. the calibration you want to use is AB10521.06 this is 500hp @1800rpm and 1650lb-ft @1200rpm
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no problem. will the "cpl # XXXXX" change when we reinstall the 05 ecm?
no the cpl for the o5 engine is 8520. if you have the 03 ecm the engine serial number from that engine should be on the data tag. i can check it for you and give you the base info as i did for the 05
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

currently the 03 ecm is on the motor, the 05 ecm will be in my hands in a couple days. i think it would be better to put the 05 ecm back on the engine and see what happens. i apologize for pickin ur brain so much, this info has been more helpful than anything else. i don't want to damage this engine,as it is the only truck i have and have sunk what i had left into getting it back on the road.

also do you think we will have to change the control valve after reinstalling the 05 ecm?

how can i give you another "tip"

no you shouldn't have to replace the control valve again, it should be fine , If you need anything else please ask. Thank you again ,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the reason i asked about replacing the control valve is that the 05 valve looks alot different than the 03 thats on it now.
it should be the low mount style by the air compressor. a new low mount variable geometry turbocharger air control valve, Part Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN which supersedes Part Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN The original version of this valve, Part Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN was made with an aluminum body. The new valve, Part Number(NNN) NNN-NNNN has the same dimensions as the original version, but is made with a polymer body. The torque specifications for the polymer body version of the valve are 8 to 9 N•m [70 to 80 in-lb] for the air inlet and outlet. This change will affect ISM CM875 and ISX CM870 engines built January 1, 2004 or later you would have to give me the 03 serial number from the engine,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

#14045309

No your fine keep the 05 control valve on the 05 engine. the 03 won't work correctly (old style) so you won't have to swap it back. Just put the 05 ecm on and go
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
They didn't have the 05 control valve so they used the one off the 03 engine
it's not correct part number for 05
4036195
*4037440 05T10-7
4039813 07T19-53
4046304 07T19-53
2836554

03 engine part numbers

3682956
*3683078

DR.Cummins, FIELD SERVICE TECHNICIAN
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
are those the part numbers for what i need?
the last part number is XXXXX most current on each list
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do you know where i might find one maybe used or something along those lines. I'm bout tapped out on funds.
i will look for you. i know there about 800 bucks new. give me some time. thank you again
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i appreciate doc.

anytime