Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.

HOW TO SET VALVES & INJS. 2006 CAT ACERT ENGINE

Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

Could you get me the engine serial number please? It's starts with either a BXS, MXS, or NXS.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
MXS29216
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the information.

Here is the procedure to adjust the overhead. Please let me know if you have more questions.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11922365/MXS%20Finding%20TDC%20and%20Adjusting%20Overhead.pdf

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I KNOW HOW TO SET THE E MODEL . THIS ONE THE FEELER GAUGE WILL NOT SLIDE ALL THE WAY BETWEEN VALVE BRIDGE &BUTTON. BACK ADJ. SCREW OFF ALL WAY GAUGE STILL WILL NOT GO ALL THE WAY
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.

I have seen this many times lately.

Did you replpace the head on the engine?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NO IT HAD A MISS COLD AT IDLE
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.

I see. I have seen several head latley that were machined wrong and the valve could not be adjusted.

Which valve are you on? Intake or Exhaust?

If it is the intake, you will need to back off the IVA screw. If it is the Cat Brake, you will need to back it off as well before adjusting the valve.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
INTAKE
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.
Did you back off the IVA screw?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
YES
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.

If the IVA screw is backed off and the 15 thousands gauge will not go under the rocker arm, the rocker arm must be bent. I would recommend removing the arm and comparing it with other intake rocker arms.

Is it just one valve or more of them?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I CHECKED 3 & 5 BOTH WERE THE SAME
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.

Try and look closley where the IVA contacts the rocker arm and see if it is touching the intake rocker arm .

Is this happening on just one cylinder?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NO I TRIDED #3 & #5
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.

So you were able to adjust all the other intake valves?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
NO THIS IS WHERE I STARTED AT
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the information.

You may be on TDC compression #6 instead of TDC #1.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I AM ON #6 I ALWAYS START ON WHAT EVER COMES UP FIRST
Expert:  Cat Man replied 3 years ago.

It is possible that the flywheel has been put on incorrectly. It normally happens when a clutch job has been performed on the engine. As I'm sure you know, there is a dowel pin on the back of the crankshaft that is suppose to go into the flywheel. I have seen several times over the years where the flywheel has been put on without a dowel pin, or the bolts have been run down and destroyed the dowel pin.

To verify this, see if you can rotate the engine over a little bit a t a time and see if you can get the feeler gauge under the rocker. If you can, that means you were adjusting when the cam was coming up and the flywheel is on wrong.

It is the only thing that makes since.

Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience: 23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
IF YOU FIND ANY THING ELSE LET ME KNOW