Andy, Technician
Experience:  310s and 310t technician licenses, 17 yrs experience, International Diamond Certified Tech 7 yrs
30303843

2006 international 8600 with cummins..fuel tanks..enough fuel

2006 international 8600 with cummins ISM. I got problem with dual fuel tanks. System is not transferring enough fuel from left tank to right one. Pump seems to be working. When I was filling up I noticed that I still had about half tank of fuel in the left one and main one (left) was empty. Fuel gauge was on empty as well.

Andy3221 :

Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I think I can help you resolve your problem!

Andy3221 :

Can we start with the last 8 digits of the vin number please?

Customer:

sure its 6j221687

Customer:

Sorry for mixing up sides of the tanks - to be clear - system is not transfering enough fuel from passenger side tank to driver side

Andy3221 :

does the fuel transfer pump have only 2 wires going to it?

Andy3221 :

I would check and clean the connections at both tank sensor connectors ! Sounds like your storage tank sensor is working intermittently and should be replaced ! I am going by what you mentionned ( the fuel gauge at empty, the left side emptyand right side half full) . The body controller reads the level in the left side (draw tank ) and displays it on the fuel gauge in the cluster , so that all seems to be working fine ! However , the body controller is not reading the right side ( storage tank ) level properly because at 50 % level , and the other side at about 10 % , the body controller would definitely be turning on that pump to transfer fuel and try to level off both sides within 10 % of each other and maintain that . That is its function is to keep both tanks close to the same as the engine draws from the left side.

Andy3221 :

I work for an International dealer and can tell you with 95 % certainty that it will be your right side storage tank sensor that is causing your trouble as we replace fuel level sensors quite often at work when we get complaints of fuel not leveling!

Andy3221 :

Hope this resolves your problem !

Andy3221 :

Please click on ACCEPT as this is how I get paid for my time and services! Feedback is great too ! I'll still be around if you need me further!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you very much - will ask for your help in the future

No problem ! Just ask for Andy ! Thank you very much !