catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case
11546476

Have CAT M316C With 3056E Perkins electronic fuel injection

Customer Question

Have CAT M316C With 3056E Perkins electronic fuel injection pump, the engine cranks but will not start,replaced fuel filters checked fuel return line flow is good.No service manual, anyone help?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 3 years ago.

Donnie :

You will need CAT ET to test this engine. This machine does not have a way to see the fault codes without it.

Donnie :

Here is a list of things to check form the manual.

Donnie :

Engine Cranks but Will Not Start

Probable Causes

• Diagnostic codes

• Air intake and exhaust system

• Air inlet heater starting aid (if equipped)

• Glow plugs (if equipped)

• Valve lash

• Fuel supply

• Low compression (cylinder pressure)

• Fuel injectors

Recommended Actions

Diagnostic Codes

Check for active diagnostic codes on the electronic service tool. Troubleshoot any active codes before continuing with this procedure.

Visual Checks

1. Visually inspect the engine for the following faults:

• Missing components

• Damaged components

• Oil leaks

• Coolant leaks

• Fuel leaks

• Hydraulic leaks

• Check electrical cables for damage. Check that the electrical cables are properly secured.

• Check for the proper level of fuel, oil, coolant, and hydraulic fluids

1. Try to start the engine. If the engine does not start, verify that the crankshaft is rotating. Use a suitable hand tool in order to rotate the crankshaft.

1. If the crankshaft does not rotate freely, check the engine for the following problems:

• Seized piston

• Defects in the drive gears

• Fluid in the cylinder bores

• Improper timing of valves

Air Intake and Exhaust System

1. Check the air filter restriction indicator, if equipped.

1. Ensure that the air filter is clean and serviceable.

1. Check the air intake and exhaust systems for the following defects:

• Blockages

• Restrictions

• Damage to lines or hoses

1. Repair any defects before attempting to restart the engine.

1. If the engine will not start proceed to "Air Inlet Heater Starting Aid".

Air Inlet Heater Starting Aid (if equipped)

1. Check for proper operation of the air inlet heater starting aid. Refer to Systems Operation, Testing and Adjusting, "Air Inlet Heater - Test".

1. If the repairs do not eliminate the fault refer to "Glow Plugs".

Glow Plugs (if equipped)

Note: Faulty glow plugs will only affect engine starting when the ambient temperature is below 10 °C (50 °F).

1. Check the operation of the glow plugs. Refer to Systems Operation, Testing and Adjusting, "Glow Plugs - Test".

1. If necessary, replace faulty glow plugs. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Glow Plug - Remove and Install".

1. If the repairs do not eliminate the fault, proceed to "Valve Lash".

Valve Lash

1. Check the valve lash and reset the valve lash if it is necessary. Refer to Systems Operation, Testing and Adjusting, "Engine Valve Lash - Inspect and Adjust".

Ensure that the repairs have eliminated the active diagnostic codes before attempting to restart the engine.

If the engine will not start proceed to "Fuel Supply".

Fuel Supply

1. Check the fuel pressure. Refer to Systems Operation, Testing and Adjusting, "Fuel System Pressure - Test".

1. Ensure that the fuel system has been primed. Refer to Systems Operation, Testing and Adjusting, "Fuel System - Prime".

1. Check the diesel fuel for contamination. Refer to Systems Operation, Testing and Adjusting, "Fuel Quality - Test".

1. Check for air in the fuel system. Refer to Systems Operation, Testing and Adjusting, "Air in Fuel - Test".

1. Check that the fuel lines are tight and secured properly.

1. Check for fuel supply lines that are restricted.

1. Check the fuel filters.

1. Visually check the fuel tank for fuel. The fuel gauge may be faulty.

1. If the engine has a water separator, check for water in the fuel.

1. Ensure that the fuel supply valve (if equipped) is in the full OPEN position.

1. If the temperature is below 0 °C (32 °F), check for solidified fuel (wax).

1. Check the fuel injection pump. Refer to Troubleshooting, "Fuel Injection Pump Circuit - Test".

If the engine will not start proceed to "Low Compression".

Low Compression (cylinder pressure)

1. Remove the fuel injectors and perform a compression test. Refer to Systems Operations, Testing and Adjusting, "Compression - Test "data.

Examples of low compression are shown in the following list:

• Outside temperatures are too cold.

• Mechanical problem

• Faulty piston rings

• Worn cylinder bores

• Worn valves

• Faulty cylinder head gasket

• Damaged cylinder head

1. Make all necessary repairs to the engine.

1. Ensure that the repairs have eliminated the active diagnostic code.

1. If the engine will not start proceed to "Fuel Injectors".

Fuel Injectors

1. Remove the fuel injectors from the cylinder head. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Fuel Injectors - Remove".

1. Visually inspect the fuel injectors. If a fuel injector has a suspected fault, replace the fuel injector. Refer to Disassembly and Assembly, "Fuel Injector - Remove" and Disassembly and Assembly, "Fuel Injector - Install".

Donnie :

Review these to see if anything is helpful and let me know if I can help you with any?

Donnie :

I just remembered a problem I have had in the past. Check the ??voltage load protection module, it is the little silver cylinder next to the ecm. If it burns out, the engine will crank but, not start.

Donnie :

Here is a schematic of the wires.

Donnie :

270-5322 is the part number of the current version.