Buddy
Buddy, Technician
Experience:  20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years
19040450

HOW DO I TIME CAMSHAFT ON A 2005 DETROIT 60 SERIES ENGINE

Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Buddy replied 3 years ago.

Buddy :

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Buddy, and i will try and help you out. What is the last 6 of your truck vin#.

Customer:

DO NOT KNOW

Customer:

I KNOW HOW TO TIME THE OLDER ENGINES THIS IS MY FIRST ON 2005

Expert:  Buddy replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Buddy replied 3 years ago.

There is a series 60 cam service tool kit used to do this. You can do it without it, but i would not recommend it, if you have not done one before. He can easily get out of time and could cause some damage. The cam service tool number is XXXXX It will have all the neccessary tools to do this with.

Here is the procedure using the tools.

Install the camshaft bearings and camshaft gear assembly as follows:?

Note: If new bearings are to be installed, the upper and lower shells MUST be replaced as a set.

1. Coat the lower camshaft bearing shells with clean engine lubricating oil, and install them to their original positions. Note the position of oil holes and locating tangs.
  2. Coat the lobes and journals of the camshaft with clean engine lubricating oil.
  3. Install camshaft alignment tool (J-45946) into camshaft gear cover and camshaft gear, making sure the pin on the tool is entered into the timing hole in the back of the camshaft gear cover.
  4. Ensure the timing pin is installed in the bracket on the front gear case cover and into crankshaft timing hole
  5. If the adjustable idler gear was removed or replaced, remove the cover plate and loosen the three hub retaining nuts so the gear hub can be easily moved. Install the centering tool (J-46306-A) to hold idler gear hub at the middle of travel This procedure will assist in correctly installing the camshaft gear
  6. Ensure two seals are properly installed in camshaft gear cover
  7. Apply RTV sealant along split line on gear case
  8. Install two guide studs (J-46302) into gearcase to guide camshaft gear cover assembly onto gear case. Using lifting tool (J-46305), place front lifting hook between the number two injector lobe and intake valve and the rear hook between number four injector lobe and intake valve.
  9. Lower camshaft assembly into position on bearings and gear case.

Note: Insure that the seal on the rear of the camshaft gear cover does not catch on the edge of the cylinder head.

10. When the assembly is in position remove the guide studs, install and hand tighten the four camshaft gear cover bolts until the camshaft gear cover just contacts the gear case do not torque.
  11. Remove the alignment tool, the timing hole in the back of the camshaft gear cover should be visible in the center of the hole in the gear. Reinstall the alignment tool to verify timing is correct. If timing is correct proceed to step 12 .

Note: Verify alignment tool is installed correctly. Incorrect installation will result in gear not being in time and the procedure will need to be repeated.

12. Apply RTV to grooves in camshaft cap No.1 and Gasket Eliminator® to camshaft cap No. 7

13. NOTICE:?

If the camshaft gear cover bolts and/or the camshaft cap bolts are tightened down with the camshaft gear out of time damage to the camshaft gear cover and the timing pin will result.?

14. Install No. 1 and 7 camshaft bearing caps with one bolt and one stud bolt in each and hand tighten.
  15. Install the the remaining five camshaft caps in the following sequence; caps 3, 6, 2, 5 and 4. Hand tighten to prevent seal damage to the backside of the camshaft cover.
  16. Install three bolts inside camshaft gear cover, hand tighten to prevent seal damage.
  17. To seat the cover, torque the three inside camshaft gear cover bolts to 10 N·m (7 ft·lb).
  18. Torque camshaft cover bolts to 56-66 N·m (44-48 lb·ft)
  19. Torque all camshaft cap bolts and stud bolts to 126-146 N·m (93-108 lb·ft).
  20. Torque the three bolts previously installed inside camshaft gear cover to 40 N·m (30 lb·ft).
  21. Install remaining bolt to camshaft gear cover torque to 136 N·m (100 lb·ft).
  22. Ensure timing of the gear has been verified. Refer to step 10 .
  23. Remove timing pin from crankshaft and alignment tool from gearcase cover.
  24. Check camshaft gear lash and adjust if necessary.Torque idler gear nuts to 103-113 N·m (76-83 lb·ft).
  25. Install Synchronous Reference Sensor/Crankshaft Position Sensor

I hope this helps you out. If you have anymore questions, just ask.

Thanks
Buddy

Buddy, Technician
Experience: 20 years experience. Freightliner tech for last 14 years
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>   HOW DO I RUN OVER HEAD ON 2005 60 SERIES DETROIT</p>
Expert:  Buddy replied 3 years ago.

Here is the procedure for N3 injectors. DDEC 5 engines.

Adjust the valves and N3 fuel injector settings as follows :?

1. Disconnect starting power for engine.
  2. Remove the engine valve rocker cover
  3. Insert a 3/4 in. drive breaker bar or ratchet into the square hole in the center of the crankshaft pulley or ! 7/16 on accessory drive pulley.
  4. Bar the engine in the direction of rotation and observe a cylinder where the injector rocker arm is just beginning to depress the injector plunger, both the intake and exhaust valves should be closed.
    1. Stop turning the engine and mount a magnetic base dial indicator so you can monitor the upward lift of travel of that injector lobe.
    2. Set the pedestal of the dial indicator on the top of the injector cam roller. Adjust the pedestal so it can travel the entire upward movement of the lobe.
    3. Continue to slowly bar the engine over in the direction of rotation until the dial indicator shows no more upward lift. The needle of the dial indicator will stop moving indicating maximum lift.
    4. This is the point of maximum injector roller lift, the injector can now be set.
    5. If you rotate the engine beyond this point you will have to bar the engine over in the opposite direction at least 1/4 turn and then bar the engine over in the direction of rotation until maximum injector roller lift is obtained.
  5. Stop engine rotation and note which cylinder this is, and follow the sequence listed in Table "Valve Lash and N3 Injector Setting Adjustment Sequence" to correctly set injector and valves.

Max. injector lobe travel on Cylinder No.?

Adjust Injector on Cylinder No.?

Adjust Valves on Cylinder No.?

6?

6?

2?

2?

2?

4?

4?

4?

1?

1?

1?

5?

5?

5?

3?

3?

3?

6?

Table 11. Valve Lash and N3 Injector Setting Adjustment Sequence
  6. This injector can now be set using this procedure:
    1. Loosen the locknut on the adjusting screw at least two full turns.
    2. Tighten the adjusting screw until the injector plunger bottoms out, torque value should be 4.51 N·m (40 in·lbs).
    3. Back the adjusting screw off 3/4 of a turn 0.75 mm ± 0.25 mm (0.03 in.± 0.01in.) and tighten the locknut to 41-47 N·m (30-35 lb·ft).
    4. The injector is now adjusted.
  7. Adjust the valves on the corresponding cylinders listed in Table "Valve Lash and N3 Injector Setting Adjustment Sequence"
  8. .To adjust the intake valves, insert a 0.203 mm (0.008 in.) feeler gage between the tip of the valve stem and the valve button at the end of the rocker arm.
  9. Loosen the locknut, and turn the adjusting set screw until the feeler gage produces an even smooth pull between the valve stem and valve button.
  10. Torque the locknut to 41 - 47 N·m (30 - 35 lb·ft) and remove the feeler gage. Reinsert the feeler gage to ensure that the adjustment did not change when the locknut was tightened. Readjust as necessary.
  11. The exhaust valves are adjusted the same way as the intake valves, except use a 0.508 mm (0.020 in.) feeler gage
  12. Repeat steps thru until all injectors and valves have been set.
Buddy, Technician