Clayton
Clayton, Mechanic
Experience:  5+ Years at Freightliner, Detroit & MBE Certified, ATD, and Electrical
44163566

How do I change oil on a 2005 freightliner M2

Customer Question

how do I change oil on a 2005 freightliner M2
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Clayton replied 3 years ago.

Clayton :

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer, I am Clayton. I can help you with this.

Clayton :

Hey, How are you?

Customer :

Hi Clayton,

Clayton :

Changing the oil on an M2 is easy, do you know what engine?

Customer :

I need help on how to change the oil on a 2005 freightliner M2 the engine is a mercedes benz diesel

Clayton :

OKay, It most likely is a MBE 900

Clayton :

Well, its similar to a car in most aspects

Clayton :

The oil filter is a cartride type filter, and the cap spins off with a 36mm socket

Clayton :

The drain plug is either 10mm allen socket, or 15/16. I am pretty sure it is a 10mm allen socket

Clayton :

Once you take the drain plug out, drain the oil in the pan big enough to hold aprox 36 quarts of oil

Clayton :

Install a new oil filter in the cap, lubricate the o-rings, and install the cap, do not over tighten it. Then put your oil in

Customer :

ok, can I contact you if I have more questions?

Clayton :

Yes you may. Buy the Mercedez oil filter, its OEM and better than the aftermarket

Clayton :

Be right back, let me look up the engine oil capacity

Clayton :

Oh ya, this has a oil centrifuge filter which has to be replace as well

Clayton :

Oil filter is located on the front of the engine right behind the engine fan

Clayton :

If this is a 6 cylinder engine, the oil capacity is 30.6 quarts

Clayton :

The oil centrifuge is on the left side of the engine, close the middle. It just unscrews, and the centrifuge is in the cap. It just pops out of the cap

Clayton :

The drain plug could be a 24mm bolt head, or a 10mm Allen head

Clayton :

Here is a pic of the Centrifuge filter on the MBE 900 6 cylinder,

Full Size Image

Clayton :

Here is the oil filter picture

Full Size Image

Customer :

is there any way I can print these instructions for my guy

Clayton :

The other filter on the bottom right of the picture is the fuel filter. This engine is hard to prime after changing this filter

Clayton :

Hmm...depending on your browser, there should be an option to print in the menu bar

Clayton :

You can cut and paste, in the chat box, right click(mouse button) and hit select all, then copy

Clayton :

On your desktop, right click, go to new, then wordpad document, right click inside of the document, then hit paste. You should be able to print that way.

Clayton :

If you right click the chat box, it gives you the option to print

Clayton :

that is much easier

Clayton :

Ok, that does not work. It wont print it all

Clayton :

Thanks for using Just Answer, Keep in mind, a deposit is not an Accept. If you find my answer helpful, please click ACCEPT so I get credit. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.