Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
30244710

Massey Ferguson..tractor..has a 3 cylinder Perkins Diesel Engine on it

I have a 1963 Massey Ferguson 35X tractor that I believe has a 3 cylinder Perkins Diesel Engine on it. The serial # XXXXX 24681 and the number stamped on the crank case is 533 03101. It came with a Iskra Kranz starter that is no longer available. When I searched on the web for a suitable replacement I was informed that it came with a Lucas starter. The only problem with it was the starter they recommended was a 10 tooth and mine had 11. Also the starter was held on with straps and not bolted on. Could this be a Perkins Diesel or something else.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER heavy equipment. With years of experience, I look forward to doing my best to help. Only three cylinder diesel used in this tractor is the Perkins A3-152. You will definitely need theXXXXXBendix gear. Can't your re-builder find you a starter that will work?