Cat Man
Cat Man, Caterpillar Engine Expert
Experience:  23 Years Caterpillar Engine experience.
30708357

C-15 Caterpillar engine (500 hp) in my 2004 kenworth W900L...bracket

I have a C-15 Caterpillar engine (500 hp) in my 2004 Kenworth W900L. My dipstick tube broke off right at the bracket that steadies it to the side of the engine just before the tube curves a couple of time to put the dipstick in. My question is, since I think I can braze or otherwise repair the tube itself without having to buy another one, how do I get the old tube out?

Hi. Thanks for using JA! I will try and help you out.

Are you saying the dipstick did NOT break off Even at the bottom of the block?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Right. I broke off at a jagged diagonal type break about 2 cm about the stabilizer bracket. That is why I think I can repair it by cold welding it or brazing it back together given that a new dipstick tube is over $100. To be more specific, the amount of tube left is the length between the oil pan and the bracket for the side of the engine.

Thanks for the information.

The bottom of the dipstick has an o ring on it and just snaps into the bottom of the block. If you can get a good grip on it, it should pop right out.

Have you tried pulling on it?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes. That is why I asked you if there is something else I need to do to free the dipstick tube, such as dropping the oil pan, etc. I tried pulling on it and it did not budge. That why I was wondering if it was somehow pressed in or what?

Thanks for the information.

The tube is not pressed in. Over time the end of the tube can get pretty stuck in the block. If you are not able to pull it out, you will have to drop the oil pan the use a hammer and a soft punch to tap it out.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is it a rubber grommet that the tube goes through or some type of brass fitting?
No. There is only an O ring that goes on the bottom of the tube.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Will I need to replace that O ring after I get the tube out or does it depend on the shape of the o ring? Also, does the o ring fit into a grove or on a lip or what?

Yes. You should replace the O ring on the tube. The part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Yes. the O ring should fit into a groove on the tube.

Here is an image of the tube assembly that goes into the block.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11962809/tube.jpg <<<<<<<<<<< click here