Andy, Technician
Experience:  310s and 310t technician licenses, 17 yrs experience, International Diamond Certified Tech 7 yrs
30303843

24 Morgan Box - recently body (cab uppers, and box lights..flicker

I have a 2003 International 4300 with 24' Morgan Box - recently body (cab uppers, and box lights) either work or dont. never flicker, just on or off, doesnt seemed to be affected by movement of the truck. Bought the truck 5 months ago, worked fine, all of the sudden. possibly cold weather related as during the recent warmer spell, we didnt loose them. All fuses are fine - box interor domes, Maxon lift, and brake lights work fine. Where do I start on this? ANY tips would be appreciated!
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Customer:

Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I think I can help you resolve your problem!

Customer:

Can I have the last 8 digits of the vin number please?

Andy, Technician
Experience: 310s and 310t technician licenses, 17 yrs experience, International Diamond Certified Tech 7 yrs
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is a 2003 last 8 of the VIN are 3H575619

Thanks!

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
Thanks ! For starters , I know of a common place that is problematic from around that year of truck! If you open the hood , and look on the firewall on the driver's side , you will see right on the edge of the firewall a brown connector and a blue connector next to it . If you unplug the brown connector , and check its condition , you will probably find some corroded, melted, or spread terminals inside causing intermittent connection for your lights .
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
V
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the tip, I checked the plug like you advised - it looked brand new inside - no corrosion - where should I look next?

Thanks

Picture

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

you need to check at that plug to see if there is power coming out when park lights are turned on ! Simply backprobe the connector when plugged in and with park light switch on . You are looking for pin location H on that connector . The wire will be a 16 gauge brown in color with A58I or A58S stamped on wiring. Check that wire with a test light to ground and see if there is power coming out from body controller to feed light circuit .

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

K Ill check it tomorrow. Thanks for helping. FYI - I do have the PM service done at our local dealer as well as repairs as needed - (No start condition 2 months ago - turned out to be a fuse in? the transmission?!?) Anyway, I'm not being cheap, this is our only rig (sprayfoam Insulation)cant have it at the shop for days troubleshooting it as we cant work - we are a newer company and building)

Anyhow - thanks again, I will probe the connector next time the body/markers go out prob tomorrow as it will be cold and some snow in the forecast - what is the path of the current? (ie.. battery to distribution panel under hood to switch to lights?) feel free to give me a few things to check in order - we have a full shop and pretty handy.

Of course when this is done, you will receive a great review, and if I can somehow send you some more money - As surely I would've spent more with it in the shop

Chuck

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

I will try and send you some diagrams but they may not be very clear! I will try and help you through the diagrams!

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
graphicgraphicgraphic
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

This is the connector and pin H is the location of the wire . It is a 14 gauge brown wire with J58A stamped on it . Please disregard the other wire numbers I gave you . This is what you should see on that connector . Check this one to see if you have power there with park switch on . graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We do have power there when park is on. I have been told by MANY that morgan has a problem with the body ground. Where can I find this ground connection?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

andy, never did anything with this as we only run during days...but now winter is approaching and early morning and late pm is dark - need to get this solved

I will check the connection you suggested when the lights are out...any other advice or leads?

thanks

chuck