Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
30244710

Perkins 3.152, after running under load for 30..restart..cools

Customer Question

perkins 3.152, after running under load for 30-45min the engine just shuts down, and will not restart for 30min-1hr when engine cools off.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 3 years ago.

curtis b :

does engine kill with key or a pull cable? You didn't give model number or year model. If it kills with the key, the electric fuel shutoff is either overheating and shutting off or the shutoff is loosing voltage and shutting off the engine. My guess would be the fuel shutoff solenoid is overheating and has to cool off before unit will work again.

Customer:

The engine shuts off with a pull cable and there are no electrical circuits needed to run the engine or to shut the engine down. The engine is in a Perkins 3.152 and it is in a Massey Ferguson MF 20 with a loader frame and a drag box. I do not know the year or is there a engine serial number I can find on the engine, I have searched. The engine blew a head gasket about 2 months ago and the head was just done and a new radiator installed. The engine starts and idles without a miss and will go to high idle without a problem. You can work the machine hard and there are no issues with power or operation, there is no loss of power before it shuts down. Up until it shunts down by itself. heat related, you can shut it off and restart it without a problem. The only thing that is noticed is the engine oil temp climbs to around 140 when it shuts down after working hard and then will not start again for 30-1hr time, again possible temp related. The owner said it had a similar problem some years ago and that it just stopped happening

curtis b :

Remove the return line fitting in the injector pump and examine the fitting, it should have a fuel check valve in it and it can be restricting the fuel supply. If it stops up while running, the engine will die. I don't think the heat of the engine has anything to do with it. The oil temperature is not high. It is normally above the water temperature by 30 to 40 degrees.

curtis b :

When it dies, will the starter turn the engine? Just won't restart? Do you get any smoke while cranking? No smoke, no fuel.

Customer:

The starter will turn the engine over when it shuts off and there is no lugging of the starter motor. I removed the return line at the fuel tank and there is almost no fuel coming out when running at high or low idle and there are air bubbles coming out, sometimes a lot and at other times very little. I did not see the check valve you are talking about at the pump return, but I will check.

curtis b :

should be a return line at the injectiion pump. You will have to unscrew the fitting to check.

Customer:

Thank you I will check it just as soon as the rain stops.

curtis b :

Ok, let me know. Thanks.

Customer:

The only check valve in the fuel system is at the top of the fuel filter, on the line that connects to the injectors and the return line to the tank. I checked the line and cleaned it, the check valve and the orifice on the the banjo bolt on top of the filter. Now when the engine is run under a heavy load it will only run for ten minutes max and then shut down. It will restart with starting fluid but will not continue to run. Also the return/leak back line from the filter is connected to an outlet port on the filter, not an inlet. I just received a call from the owner and I am getting ready to go back out to check on the machine. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

curtis b :

Does the injection pump have return line coming off it? All I ever saw with CAV pump has this fitting. It comes with a glass ball in it and can cause problem with the injection pump. I don't see this as an overheat or heat problem.

Customer:

The pump has a line at the rear of the pump for fuel supply and one at the front of the pump just behind the mounting plate, it is listed as the back leakage pipe on a diagram I have. This back leakage line is connected to the fuel filter, and I assume that it is to bleed off the leakage behind the injector pistons. I went up and checked the fuel system as the engine died and when I bled the pump with the upper bleed screw it had pressurized air and the lines to the injectors were full of air also. I assumed from what I was told by the owner in the beginning that it was an overheating problem, but now I see that it is air pressure building in the pump and once the pressure bleeds off the engine can be restarted and run again until the air pressure builds up. I bled the system and the engine started right away. I ran the tractor for about 15min under load and again the engine died and there was air in the pump again. I had hoped that the check valve you were talking about was there to prevent air build up in the pump. Is there anything I should look for in the fuel lines that would allow air to build up in this system.

curtis b :

The transfer pump has to keep the fuel flowing to keep out any air. From what you tell me , it would be most likely a fuel suction problem. With the problem only showing up after running for a while, I would be taking a look at the fuel tank itself, maybe it has something loose in it floating around and getting against the supply pipe. It sucks up to the pipe, then when engine dies, it floats away, letting you re-prime system and work again. For test you can run hose from the suction side of the transfer pump back into the fuel tank opening, or run engine from separate fuel container.