FIX-IT, Technician

Volvo: fault codes MID 128 SID 146 FMI 15......I

Customer Question

Have a volvo engine with fault codes MID 128 SID 146 FMI 15......I FIND MID 128 SID 146 BUT NOT FMI 15..... Can someone please help with this problem
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer.i can help you with this..the 146 means egr valve and the 12 means bad component,sounds like the egr valve is bad my friend and time to replace.let me know how you do..and if you had a sid 266 that would mean egr valve #2 which is towards the rear,the 146 is towards the front lower.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok I understand that but what does the FMI 15 mean????? thats the puzzling question. I was also told this volvo has two EGR valves on it how do you know which is bad?  the codes are off the diagnostic computer of the truck and looked in the book and the FMI code only goes to 12. Have received this code several times.
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 5 years ago.

12 usually means mechanical failure..internal problem..sticking..

146 means the egr valve towards the front of the engine..let me know how you do.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
You keep telling me about FMI 12......Well I am getting FMI 15, thats what I need to know about that code FMI 15
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 5 years ago.

click here

it looks like a oem specific reason and i don't have it at this time,the above is for all others. but it looks like as the numbers are lower its a electrical problem as the get higher it points to a mechanical problem.let me know if you have any more questions.