ebnel, Technician
Experience:  master certification diagnostics and repair

I have a JD 5410 4X4 that had all four wheels lock..bucket..brakes

Customer Question

Good morning, I have a JD 5410 4X4 that had all four wheels lock up at 15mph when in-rout back to the ranch. I had a full load of dirt in the bucket and the back end felt like it was going to come all the way over, but thank God the bucket stopped it. After it came to a stop it would not move and made a loud sound like the brakes were on. I forced it off the road and then waited for about 45min before I tried to move it again. It seemed to have unlocked itself and I made the rest of the way home. I also noticed while working with it earlier that day that the brake's felt like they were on and it was making some unusual clutch binging sounds. Do you have any idea where I could start looking.
Thanks in advance.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  ebnel replied 5 years ago.

ebnel :

Hello, sounds like you had very bad experience, machine stoppage like that wakes a guy up pretty quick. First thing I would recommend looking at is the trans/hydraulic fluid strainer suction screen, look for brake material or clutch facings. This screen is located in rear of tractor directly below pto shaft area, small cap that is held on by 2 bolts. All your fluid will drain so have large enough container ready. check condition of oil is water is present or white foamy oil. Let me know what you find and I'll assist further.