Clayton
Clayton, Mechanic
Experience:  5+ Years at Freightliner, Detroit & MBE Certified, ATD, and Electrical
44163566

I have a 3406 engine with a serial #starting with 3zj is it a b or c

i have a 3406 engine with a serial #starting with 3zj is it a b or c and what is the diff.?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Clayton replied 5 years ago.
Hi, Welcome to Just Answer, I am Clayton. I can help you with this.

Depending on the serial number, it could be a B or a C. The 3zj is a pre-fix of either engines. The last 5 digits will determine whether it is a B or a C. 3ZJ00001-3ZJ16181 is a 3406B anything after that is a 3406C.

The difference is, the B model is fully mechanical, and the C model could be half and half, Electronic/Mechanical. They are know as PEEC engines. The model can be made fully mechanical, infact the C model has a stronger bottom end, some came with aluminum pistons, and some came with steel pistons. The C models have bigger bearings.