Andy, Technician
Experience:  310s and 310t technician licenses, 17 yrs experience, International Diamond Certified Tech 7 yrs
30303843

Good morning. I have a international 1997 4700 DT466 L6.7.6L(466c

Customer Question

Good morning.
I have a international 1997 4700 DT466 L6.7.6L(466cid) diesel the problem Iam haveing is it wont start I scanned it and the code that pop up was (SID254 FMI 1-2) (FM1 engine oil preasure sensor signal below warning level. FM2 Manfold Absolute preasure sensor signal in range fault.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  david replied 3 years ago.

david :

Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

david :

First the reason the engine will not start is do to the engine oil pressure sensor signal below warning level. This is a safety component If there is low oil pressure the injectors will not open. Because if there is low or no oil pressure meager engine damage could happen.

david :

First thing you need to do is check the oil pressure with a manual pressure gauge to be sure the oil system is working right.

david :

If the oil pressure is good replace the oil pressure sensor.

david :

Now as for the MAP sensor code, I would check and fix the oil pressure problem then clear the codes and see what comes back

Customer:

Good evening sorry for takeing so long to reply'

Customer:

I change the oil switch, and check the oil and tryed to start it but it wont start'

Customer:

put the scanner on it and there were no codes this time, so I blead the system and tryed again no luck help

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Hi there! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I think I can help you resolve your problem!

Can I please have the last 8 digits of the VIN please so I can look it up ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

good evenind Andy.

The VIN # XXXXX

I scaned the truck again and it gave me (Sid 155 FM1:7 oil preasure volts below normal/

and also a (PID 100 FM1:4)

I put a external preasure guage on and crank it the preasure it gave me was 45 to 50 lbs. put the new sensor back on and tried to start it but it wont start and if I use either shot in the intaks it starts but wont stay running. could this be the computer playing games with me and not sending a pulse to the injectors.

I also change the oil again and the fuel filter again but nothing yet.

So I will be glad if you could solve this for me thanks again, look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Try locating the injection control pressure sensor on the left side of the engine. It should be mounted on the center of the fuel manifold which is mounted on the head and it is a three wire sensor. If you unplug this sensor and the engine starts and runs but not the greatest , the replace that sensor. This sensor monitors injection control pressure and sends the signal back to the ECM so that ECM can control pressure through the injection control pressure valve or IPR. If the sensor is defective, you will probably not get enough pressure to hydraulically actuate the injectors .

Hope this helps! Please click on ACCEPT if my answer was satisfactory as this is how I get paid for my time and services! I'll still be around if you need me further ! Thanks for using JUST ANSWER and don't forget to tell your friends about us!

Edited by Andy3221 on 1/31/2011 at 12:44 AM EST
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Hey there , Just wondering how you made out with what I sent you! Was it helpful at all ? Please don't forget to click on ACCEPT if my answer was satisfactory as this is how I get paid for my time and services! I'll still be here if you need further help ! Thanks again for using JUST ANSWER and please spread the word around about our site !

Let me know if I can assist further !

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Let me know if I can assist further !

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good evening sorry Iam Late yes I did try by unpluging the sensor and tried to start it but it still wont start, so I went a little further and purchase a new sensor and tried again but still it wont start I scaned it and cleared the codes thinking this would help but it did not is there something else to try. thanks look forward to hearing from you.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Oh , if it didn't start with sensor unplugged , then old sensor was probably good then. Anyway, You did not have any other codes at all in memory ? Even inactive codes? Do you have an engine light on currently ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

when I scaned it there were no active codes or inactive codes and the only light that comes on is the warm engine light and the oil and water light is this a computer problem or something else. thanks

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Are the warn engine and the oil /water light staying on all the time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the warm engine goes off when i try to start it and the oil and water light goes off.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

So when you turn the key to the on position, they both come on and go out after a few seconds right ? This is just an inittial bulb check at key on to let you know the bulbs are ok !

Ok then, I would like for you to locate the oil temperature sensor and unscrew it out of the back of the front cover to check and see if there is a lot of oil behind it. The oil temp sensor is mounted on the left side of the engine, on the back side of the engine front cover and should be mounted just in front of the high pressure oil injection pump. It is a 2-wire sensor. Please unscrew it out and with a drain pan under the truck, momentarily pull the oil temp sensor out of its hole and see if a lot of oil comes dribbling out at all!

This will tell me that the oil reservoir that is built in the front cover is full of oil or not! This reservoir must always be full to keep high pressure oil injection pump fed. Please let me know what you find!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I unscrew it out and yes oil did come out in the oil pan, Iam just wondering though if it had not been no oil there is this the oil injection pump just asking thanks.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Good ! And no ! This is just telling us that the main oil pump is feeding the reservoir properly and the reservoir is not leaking down in level . This needs to stay full so that injection pump can build high pressure oil to actuate the injectors.

Is your hand primer pump hard to pump up ? This tells us that there is no air in system !

Edited by Andy3221 on 2/1/2011 at 3:03 AM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thanks so what else you want me to ?
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
Did you prime the fuel system with the hand primer pump ? It should be hard to pump up ( means no air in fuel system )
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes I did pump it untill it got where i could not push it any anymore it got hard. just a question the exhust smoke when Iam starting the truck I dont see any smoke like ready to start you think the shut off and shut on is working or is this truck engine diffrent just asking thanks
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Well we might be looking at an IPR valve ! This controls the injection high oil pressure that actuates the injectors but would like to do more checks first! With the key on , go to the battery box and remove cover . There , you will find some small wiring hooked up to the batteries with inline fuses. Please have a good look at those fuses to see if any of them are blown or melted a little from heat because they may not be making a proper connection anymore. Another common problem is these fuses or fuse holders end up with spread, burnt terminals not making connection anymore . Pay attention to ecm and idm fuses (idm-injector driver module).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok I checked the fuses and they were alright but to be on the safe side I put new ones in, the holders are fine nothing burnt the wireing ok
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

And you tried to start and no difference ? No smoke?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I tried to start it and did not see any smoke

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
depress and hold the diagnostics switch on dash and then turn the key to the on position. Count the flashes if any
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
three flashes and then the warm engine stayed on thanks
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

this means no faults detected !

Behind where that oil temp sensor was , there is the high pressure injection pump . Mounted on the pump is a small electric solenoid valve called the injection control pressure valve or IPR . This valve controls the injection pressure to actuate the injectors. Make sure you have a battery charger on the truck and plenty of cranking rpm (not cranking slow -needs to be cranking fast to build enough compression to ignite fuel) . Check that IPR connector for dirty, spread terminals that could be causing poor connectivity , check wiring to it and tug them to make sure they are not broken. If all is good , reconnect and crank engine for at least 30 sec straight . Then, if it didn't start, check the flash codes again by pushing the diagnostic switch and then turning the key on and count flashes again!

Andy, Technician
Experience: 310s and 310t technician licenses, 17 yrs experience, International Diamond Certified Tech 7 yrs
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for ACCEPT !! What did you find ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Iam packing it in for the night its late, I will start back in the morning but thanks a lot it was nice chating to you hope I can pick this up again I will come back on and tell you what I found, a question so you dont think I need a computer I just want to rule this out because wear Iam located we have to order our parts fron the USA. So when I come back on just put your name there right.

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

We can't rule out an ECM at this point but I think we need to check codes again after 30 seconds of straight cranking to see if we get an injection oil pressure code. That will help narrow down what's going on . At this point , my guess is you need a new IPR valve on the high pressure injection pump !

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks I will check tomorow and get back to you then.and thanks again for your help

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
no problem! If you need anything else please do not hesitate to msg me! we can troubleshoot come more if need be!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good evening I put hot batteries in the truck and also put a battery charger to it and crank it for thirty seconds then I went and held in the diagnostics switch and turn on the key and here is what I found 2 flashes pause and 5 flashes and then 3 flashes and 4 flashes. also put the scanner on and there were inactive codes as follows controller 1 out of calibration Sid:254 FM1:13, Sid: 155 FM1:7, Sid:155 FM1:7, Sid: 254 FM1:2, Sid 154 FM1:11, Sid:153 FM1:11 thanks again.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

I am having a hard time finding reading these codes ! They should be 3 digit flash codes . Please forget about the scanner for now and just try the diagnostic switch flash codes again . We need to verify again paying particular attention to the number of quick flashes , pause , number of flashes , pause , and number of flashes again . This would be for one code (example 3-pause-6-pause-4 means code 364) . It may spit out quite a few series of flashes until it is done and light goes back on solid. Let's give that another try please! Push the button , then turn the key on , and start reading flashes in sets of 3 digits meaning one code (333 , then 234, and so on ).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok good evening I paid close attention to the flashes I cranked the engine for 30seconds then I pushed the button in and turned the key on and started to count and here is what pop up, 253,242,543,253,242,224,543,223,615, and I made sure and repeated it several times . I wrote it down as it flashed. example( 2 flshes 2) (5 flashes 5) ( 3 flashes 3) hense 253. thanks I hope this helps.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

ok will look it up

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

This is a dt 466e engine , correct?

For some reason , none of those codes are in the list !

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Sorry , had wrong list !

Here are your codes:

253-fuel injection sync circuit occ self-test failed

242-fdcs signal to IDM occ self-test failed

543-IDM faults not received

224-cam corrupt

223-Vpm not communicating with ECM

615-programmable parameter cam corrupt fault

I think we need to go back and check that small wiring in the battery box again ! Sounds

like an electrical problem. I think the IDM is not getting power. I would start at the batteries , follow that small wiring right up . It should lead to either relays or the ECM . I would also look for the ECM and IDM relays and swap them with some other known good relays . I would also check all the large multi terminal connectors in the harness . Open them up and check for corrosion . It's coming down to a real good visual inspection now to find corrosion somewhere along the wiring or a bad relay. Good luck !!

Edited by Andy3221 on 2/3/2011 at 4:08 AM EST
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.
It sounds like an electrical problem now ! I think the IDM (injector driver module ) is not powering up . Check for ecm and IDM relays and swap them with known good ones to see if that helps! Also I would go through all the multi pin connectors that have some purple wiring on them and check for corrosion inside . Also should start over from the batteries and follow that small wiring up and inspect for rubbed out or corrosion in wiring somewhere along the way! Good Luck!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks looks like theses codes work better . think I should order a computer now it looks pretty beat up and a lot of corrison on the out side just asking it takes a long time to get one here parts that is. When you say multi pin connectors is that the injectors connectors. Ecm and idm relays you mean the ones that are in the fuse box Thanks

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

I think the relays are up on the center of the firewall above engine !One is for starter and other is for ecm

And yes I would look at all large connectors and open them up and check for corrosion

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good morning and Thanks.

Just wanted to know is there any parts that I should order as parts do take a long time to get here like a new computer for the truck it looks beat up and old and like water was getting on it and also relays and IDM if you can think of anything I should order I would appreicate it thanks.

As always I want to thank you for your help.

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

I would make sure there is nothing wrong with harness and relays first because a new ecm won't fix it if the problem is in the harness. In my trade, we are told that the ECM isalways the last thing to blame and so you should look at all other avenues before buying an ECM. It is not refundable (electronics) if that is not the problem!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Good evening Andy3221. I check the the wire harness first cleaned every thing and tried to start the truck it wont start. So I ordered a new computer and it arrived last Saturday put it in and tried to start the truck at first it did not start but to my surprise it started. great so we have been using it since until this morning it wont start any more I tried every thing again except the removal of the relays by the way where are they located as i think this could be my problem now also I did a flash for codes again and here is what I found 253,242,543,113,221,622, thanks again for your help and sorry I took so long to reply. it has been great talking to you. THANKS AGAIN.look forward to hearing from you.
Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Does this truck have a PTO?

code 113 means ECM has low power

221 means there is a problem with your cruise control , and /or pto wiring

622 means engine using field default rating.

The other codes and their meanings are listed earlier in this question and are still there /

You still have a problem with the ECM . It has low power going to it(code 113). That can cause all the other codes as well. You need to trace the wiring again , inch by inch on the positive side and the negative side too from the batteries to the ECM. Check all connectors for corrosion along the way. Pull on the wiring everywhere(tug test) until you find a break in the wiring somewhere . Also , did you get your new ECM programmed at a dealer ? It will run even if it wasn't programmed but it is running at default settings .YOU NEED TO GET NEW ECM PROGRAMMED WITH THE PROPER CALIBRATION TO RUN YOUR ENGINE PROPERLY AND GET THE BEST FUEL MILEAGE , HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE . SO THAT EVERYTHING RUNS FINE WITHOUT ANY HICCUPPS!

Is your ECM mounted on the firewall on this truck ? If so , then the ECM relay should be mounted right there near it as well ! I would swap it with another relay too and check connections there !

Good luck ! I hope this works out for you , this time! Let me know what you find !

PLease click on ACCEPT if my answer was satisfactory as this is how I get paid for my time and services ! I'll be around if you need me further!

Andy, Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Good Morning Andy3221.

I went through all the wireing on the truck tuging and pulling and going down towards the positive side close to the starter there were one wire there that was breaking up in my hand so I trace it back and change it also I change the ECM relay and tried it but still wont start so trace the wireing again and wire harness that plugs in to the side of the valve pan this connector had corrosion in side of it I cleaned it as best as I could tried to start it and it did start turn the truck off to try it again but it wont start ,remove the connector again clean some more put back tried the truck and it start left it running for 30 mins cut the truck off, left it for a while came back and tried to start again it started .

Do they sell harness for theses trucks.

PS. the truck is letting a lot of smoke out the exhaust now, its not black smoke its like white smoke is there something wrong with injectors or is it the connector or the computer or there something else I need to do can you help me with this thanks. lokking forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

I am sure they do sell the harness ! But you can make it yourself cause it is just 2 wires ! All you have to do is make sure that you use the same size/gauge of wiring . Do not use any smaller! Also , you can choose to eliminate the connectors along the way and just run 2 straight wires all the way up to ECM . That way there is less connections to get corroded again in the future .And wherever you connect to the wiring , I suggest you solder the connection and use shrink tube over the solder joint to seal and protect it from the weather .

Also , make sure you bring it to a dealer to get the ECM programmed properly ! If that is a new ECM , it is not programmed for your truck currently . It will run your engine on default values but it will not run right until you program it with the proper calibration settings for that truck !

Glad you found your wiring issues ! Also make sure the grounds are all clean on the engine and the cab to ensure that you are not losing power on the ground side of the circuit ! Thanks ! If you need anything else , just holler!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just another Holler Andy3221.

when the truck is running there is still a lot of smoke comeing out the exhust more than it has before and when driveing on the road I look like a old fashion train comeing down the road is this the injectors or the computer or another fix that has to be done. white smoke is what is comeing out off it now. thanks look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Andy replied 3 years ago.

Have you had the new ECM programmed properly to truck?