FIX-IT
FIX-IT, Technician
Experience:  ENGINES-ELECTRICAL

A series 60 detroit camshaft out of time Help new overhaul, good job

have a series 60 detroit camshaft out of time Help
new overhaul, good job, camshaft needs timed
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to just answer.i can help you with this..i will need your full engine serial # XXXXX get you cam timing procedure.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
06R0223987 in 1995 cabover ih
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 3 years ago.

happy new year !!

click here

let me know how you do..

FIX-IT, Technician
Experience: ENGINES-ELECTRICAL
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i dont need to pull whole motor apart to retime camshaft do I? put in new liners and pistons and bearings did not remove crank ,so why would i have to redo whole engine timing sequence????
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 3 years ago.
there is a check we can do to see if the cam is actually out of time but i have spent the last hour to find it for you.now if you have confirmed it is out of time the cover may have to come off,but if its out a tooth or 2 we can confirmed that by checking injector lift to engine position,but if its way out then to save yourself a lot of time then yes the gear set may have to be reset...how far out do you feel it is...way out? or a tooth?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i have lined up dots on cam gear and idler, set rocker s .0008 clearence im thinking in time ,,,but motor whizzes over like no compression? new liners pistons rings , + new valves seated in head ,all new gaskets
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 3 years ago.
did you actually pull the cover off and check all the dots.if you line up the dots at the cam gear you have to make sure all the dots are lined up.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i pulled cover off,all dots do line up!ALL !! no rack on engine at this time,,shouldnt i hear compression leaking off when we barr motor over? what gives,seems like a simple motor, had no problem with liners, pistons, rings,. bad job to pull front cover,,,wow,,,my question couldnt be asked and i asked for refund, it was only button that would work so dont get ecxited,, i will be glad to pay . what about cam,thrust washer and gear could cam slip here? is it normal for no compression leaking off at this point bent valves?? help
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 3 years ago.
sometimes what can happen is when the cam gear goes onto the cam,the gear sometimes won't go onto dowl correctly and can throw everything out of wack.remove cam gear and insure its in the dowl..Sorry to hear your having a hard time with this..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
im working on it today, will get back to u,,,dowel seemed ok,,,,,,,,,,,,with no rack on this motor would there be compression when motor is barred over?
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 3 years ago.
yes you will.
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 3 years ago.
what makes you think your cam is out of time ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
all dots lined up...rack set in ,,,gear cover back on ,,,set vave lash ,, still dont know untill tomorow
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 3 years ago.
ok keep in touch..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
complete back to gether,,,,,,,valves set, havent set injectors,,,,,,,,all dots are in time with each other,,,,,,,,,,,,,,whizzes over ,,wont fire, like its not compressing,,, fuel smoke drifts out of exhaust pipe,,,?????????????? valves are set at .0008000 intake,,.0026000 exhaust ??????????no compressing ,,all in time with dots ,,check dowel.. no valves sticking,,,new pistons,rings and liners installed................................new injectors checked lift not that far out...either shot ,,still did not offer to fire????????????????????
Expert:  FIX-IT replied 3 years ago.
Theres something going on with either the valves or rings...etc..I want you to do a leak test,and you can do this by pulling an injector out,vacuuming out all the fuel out of the cylinder as some will go in when its pulled,and get a blow gun with a rubber tip and compress cylinder with air,listen for leaks at exhaust,intake,oil fill tube etc...this will tell us the integrity of the cylinder its a nice check for checking rings,valves,head gasket.Let me know.