Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts
30244710

I have an International 404 tractor that wont start. It was

I have an International 404 tractor that won't start. It was running 3 weeks ago just fine, but when I pulled back on the governor (accelerate) it died and I haven't been able to restart it. I'm not sure if it is either ignition or carburetor related. After several attempts to restart, the engine will fire but immediately die. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

curtis b :

I would replace the points and the condenser in the distributor and go from there. Most problems with starting and dieing can be related to the ignition system. Does the coil have an external resistor in the system? This is used to start the engine with 12 volts and then once started, cut the voltage back ,to give the points longer life. If the resistor is bad or the wiring to it is faulty , the engine will start, but then die. Also check the fuel supply to the carburetor to be sure it is receiving fuel. When you choke it do you get gas coming out of the carbuertor? Let me know. Thank you.

Customer :

Curtis B,

Customer :

Yes, it does have an external resistor, and I noticed that a small section of it glows when I was trying to start it. Do you have any idea where I could find a replacement? I'm not sure if this is a part that I could find at the local auto parts store (NAPA in my area). Also, you are right, when I choke it, gas does come out the bottom of the carb, which I was guessing that I am flooding it at that point.

Customer :

Thank you very much.

curtis b :

The resistor is a part that can be bought at any auto supply. In the starting cycle , the distributor should get the full 12 volts and when the key is released from the start position to the run position ,the voltage should drop off if the resistor is correct.

Customer :

"if the resistor is correct".....I checked one of the online auto parts sites and there were various ohm ratings for the resistors. Would the person at the parts store be able to look at the resistor, if I take it in, and determine what is the correct replacement?

curtis b :

Take it to NAPA and they should be able to give you an exact replacement. You want one for a 12 volt, pints system, and not one for an electronic distributor. Are you going to replace the points and condensor?

Customer :

If you think it would be smart to try the resistor first, I'll do that. I'm a bit intimidated about replacing the points and condenser, but will do it if the resistor doesn't fix it. I'm not sure if this would be the normal order of repair/replace, or if both should be done absolutely at the same time.

curtis b :

I would change the points and condensor first, but that is me.

Customer :

what tools do I need to do that?

curtis b :

You can bypass the resistor and the engine should run, just remove the wire from the bottom and attach it directly to the positive side of the coil. The engine should run if it is the problem. Or just run a test wire directly from the battery positive to the coil positive and see if it will run. The only thing the resistor does, is make the points last longer, as it cuts down the voltage to the points.

curtis b :

I was a little quick and didn't see your question. All you need is screwdrive and a .025 feelr gage. The points et at .025 with the high point of the lobe.

Customer :

ok, now I just need to determine which type of distributor I have......

Customer :

and to figure out what the "lobe" is......my apologies, I'm a computer guy by trade...

Customer :

I picked up the resistor, condenser, and points today. Thanks for all of your help, wish me luck!

The distributor will have a cam that open and closes the points. You set the gap on the points at the high point of one of the lobes on the cam. anyone, doesn't matter which. Then the points should close when the distributor is turned and should open as it comes to each of the four high spots. The four lobes on the cam are what times the ignition spark to the plugs. You will have to rotate the engine to get the cam lobe in the correct position ,so the points can be set. Its not as hard as it sounds. You can handle it. Good luck. And thanks!!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Just a quick note to say thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the cap,rotor,condenser, and points. I had a bit of trouble getting the gap set correctly due to it being a horizontal distributor, but once it was set and put back together, she fired right up. Thanks again for all of your help (and patience!)

Good job. Thank you!!