Clayton
Clayton, Mechanic
Experience:  5+ Years at Freightliner, Detroit & MBE Certified, ATD, and Electrical
44163566

2009 Dodge: with 6.7L cummins diesel..I noticed a warning dPF FULL.

I have a 2009 Dodge 3500 with 6.7L cummins diesel. I noticed a warning "dPF FULL". What do I have to do for maintenance and how long do I have to do it. Is my truck still safe to drive and haul?

Clayton :

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer, I am Clayton. I can help you with this.

Clayton :

Hey, Thanks for joining us.

Customer:

Glad to know of this sevice.

Clayton :

Are you still with us

Customer:

Yes, do you have a response to my question?

Clayton :

Yes I do. When the DPF full light comes on, your ECM is wanting the truck to do a Regen. This requires taking the truck on the highway, around 55-60 mph, if you are loaded it will go by much quicker, and the results will be much better.

Customer:

My engine has about 39,000 miles on it and this is the first time this has happened. Is this a common thing and can I expect it to be a recurring thing?

Clayton :

I suggest doing it very soon, the DPF will get clogged and you will start to lose power. Yes, this is normal. Especially if you do not take it on the highway much, like if its only driven around town, also if you idle alot

Clayton :

You might also contact the dealer to see if your ECM has been updated with the latest software level

Customer:

O.K. I have been hauling a fifth wheel trailer that weights about 13,000 pounds and I have been at the campground driving at low speeds for 3 days, so I guess that is what filled the filter. So if I go cruising at 55 to 60 mph this warning should clear up. You are suggesting that I don't wait a few days, when I will be hauling again.

Clayton :

If you are driving it around town, it will just plug up more. If you can do it while loaded, it will be much easier and cleaner

Clayton :

at those speeds

Clayton :

You will have to drive for atleast 30 mins or more depending on how plugged up the filter is

Clayton :

Fuel filter and air filter maintance is critial on a DPF equipped engine.

Clayton :

critical

Customer:

I plan to have my truck service next week and I'll ask them about the software. I have the fuel filter and air filter checked and replaced as necessary at each oil change. Since I can't load up until Monday and I'll be driving around at slow speeds, it sounds like I should take a drive tonight to clean it out. Thanks for the help!

Clayton :

Yes, definatly, cruise around atleast 55-65mph, if you can go faster, it will just make it cleaner.

Clayton :

Thanks for using Just Answer!.