Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  34 years experiance as engine rebuild and problems.Thermo-King repair and trouble shooting.

I have an old Western snow plow with a hydraulic problem.

Customer Question

I have an old Western snow plow with a hydraulic problem. It travels up & down ok, but when I angle it to the right, it won't come back unless I drain some fluid to relieve the pressure. What's wrong with it?
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Wayne replied 3 years ago.

wayne :

Hi I'm Wayne, I will try to help you with this,

wayne :

sounds like it's traveling too far and locking the piston, I believe a stop broke off /missing

wayne :

down at the bottom, where you have that 1/2 circle, which the blade follows, should be a stop

wayne :

let me know

Customer :

Hi Wayne,

Customer :

Hi Wayne, It doesn't have to travel to the end to malfunction. Starting at center, it will travel right, but not left. I think it's the 4 way valve. Can you tell me how to adjust it ?

wayne :

OK, I'm not sure on that, I have a trouble shooting web page, see if it helps you

wayne :

http://www.discountsnowplowparts.com/snowplow_troubleshoot.htm#angleft

wayne :

here is another page that will help you ........

wayne :

http://www.ehow.com/how_6066844_adjust-western-plow.html

Customer :

I have a site with some diagrams on adjusting the cable travel & 4 way valve but no step x step instructions. That's what I was really looking for. Thanks.

wayne :

send me the site , maybe I can figure it out ....it been many years since I have worked on plows, but might jog memory

Customer :

I have several sites, but this is the one I was referring to

Customer :

Also, a friend told me that there could be air in the right ram. What do you think?

wayne :

yes that is a very good chance....That will do it

wayne :

I'm going to open this web page and take a look

wayne :

OK, What I got out of that (very good Page ), Pg 7 E-1 , 3 way valve needs to be adjusted, CCW 1/8 of a turn

wayne :

disconnect plow before adjusting, per instructions

Customer :

OK. We'll try that. Won't be able to do it until tomorrow morning tho. Thanks Wayne

wayne :

YOu are welcome

Customer :

Tried adjusting the cable, but no help. There must be a valve stuck somewhere. When I try to angle left the pump sounds like it has reached the end of the travel. Got any ideas?

wayne :

hello ,

wayne :

It was not the cable to Adjust but the 3 way valve

wayne :

go to page 7 , #31, adjust the valve 1/8 " CCW

wayne :

let me know

Customer :

Sorry, I can't find #31. can you help?

Customer :

in the drawing, that is

wayne :

sure hold on, I will pull it up again

wayne :

OK, Go to page 7, on the left side of page , is E 1, Right side of page is E2

wayne :

at the bottom of page, it's called fine tuning

wayne :

do you see it ???

Customer :

Sorry, I was trying to adjust the cable to the 4 way valve. I'll try the 3 way valve tomorrow.

Customer :

I turned the 3 way valve CC 1/2 turn (1/8 turn four times) but no help. Could a check valve or some other valve be sticking?

wayne :

Well, judging by that Diagram, and trouble shooting ,That 4 way valve cold be bad,

wayne :

Did you try to bleed the cylinder ?? crack fitting loose, any engage to left side and bleed Possible air from it

wayne :

let me Know

wayne :

Hello, Ja Customer, Just wondering where we are with this

wayne :

Let me know

Customer :

OK. Today I loosened the top fitting on the 4 way housing and ran the plow right, then manually back left. I think I got all the air out of the system. Then I switched the hoses on the angle rams. I pulled the stick left, and the plow angled right. I pushed the stick right but the plow did not come back, same as before. I think that means there is nothing wrong with the 4 way valve. Could there be something wrong with that right ram?

wayne :

Hi

wayne :

You know what, hard to figure out problems, with out being There, this is no a cop out, But put your self in my shoes, I have given all I can, looked at Diagrams, From here on out I would be guessing.........

wayne :

that is not what you want, well if all was OK, then this problem happened, you checked all adjustments, well may that a ram is bad ............That being said, I do not have any more info for you , Sorry..........

wayne :

Merry Christmas, to you and yours

Customer :

Thanks for your help. I'll accept your answer and keep working on it.

Customer :

Merry Christmas !

Wayne, Journeyman
Experience: 34 years experiance as engine rebuild and problems.Thermo-King repair and trouble shooting.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Wayne:
Just thought you might like to know that we stumbled onto the solution to our hydraulic snow plow problem just a few days ago. One of the hose couplers was bad. We bypassed it & connected the hose directly to the ram, and it works like new. It was an inexpensive solution. We can both file that away for future reference.
Expert:  Wayne replied 3 years ago.

Afternoon,

Thank you for that info, your correct, that is one for the file.........

Glad it's going

wayne