Wayne, Journeyman
Experience:  34 years experiance as engine rebuild and problems.Thermo-King repair and trouble shooting.
6825259

Hydraulic problem troubleshooting in Western snow plow

I have an old Western snow plow with a hydraulic problem. It travels up & down ok, but when I angle it to the right, it won't come back unless I drain some fluid to relieve the pressure. What's wrong with it?
wayne :

Hi I'm Wayne, I will try to help you with this,

wayne :

sounds like it's traveling too far and locking the piston, I believe a stop broke off /missing

wayne :

down at the bottom, where you have that 1/2 circle, which the blade follows, should be a stop

wayne :

let me know

Customer :

Hi Wayne,

Customer :

Hi Wayne, It doesn't have to travel to the end to malfunction. Starting at center, it will travel right, but not left. I think it's the 4 way valve. Can you tell me how to adjust it ?

wayne :

OK, I'm not sure on that, I have a trouble shooting web page, see if it helps you

wayne :

http://www.discountsnowplowparts.com/snowplow_troubleshoot.htm#angleft

wayne :

here is another page that will help you ........

wayne :

http://www.ehow.com/how_6066844_adjust-western-plow.html

Customer :

I have a site with some diagrams on adjusting the cable travel & 4 way valve but no step x step instructions. That's what I was really looking for. Thanks.

wayne :

send me the site , maybe I can figure it out ....it been many years since I have worked on plows, but might jog memory

Customer :

I have several sites, but this is the one I was referring to

Customer :

Also, a friend told me that there could be air in the right ram. What do you think?

wayne :

yes that is a very good chance....That will do it

wayne :

I'm going to open this web page and take a look

wayne :

OK, What I got out of that (very good Page ), Pg 7 E-1 , 3 way valve needs to be adjusted, CCW 1/8 of a turn

wayne :

disconnect plow before adjusting, per instructions

Customer :

OK. We'll try that. Won't be able to do it until tomorrow morning tho. Thanks Wayne

wayne :

YOu are welcome

Customer :

Tried adjusting the cable, but no help. There must be a valve stuck somewhere. When I try to angle left the pump sounds like it has reached the end of the travel. Got any ideas?

wayne :

hello ,

wayne :

It was not the cable to Adjust but the 3 way valve

wayne :

go to page 7 , #31, adjust the valve 1/8 " CCW

wayne :

let me know

Customer :

Sorry, I can't find #31. can you help?

Customer :

in the drawing, that is

wayne :

sure hold on, I will pull it up again

wayne :

OK, Go to page 7, on the left side of page , is E 1, Right side of page is E2

wayne :

at the bottom of page, it's called fine tuning

wayne :

do you see it ???

Customer :

Sorry, I was trying to adjust the cable to the 4 way valve. I'll try the 3 way valve tomorrow.

Customer :

I turned the 3 way valve CC 1/2 turn (1/8 turn four times) but no help. Could a check valve or some other valve be sticking?

wayne :

Well, judging by that Diagram, and trouble shooting ,That 4 way valve cold be bad,

wayne :

Did you try to bleed the cylinder ?? crack fitting loose, any engage to left side and bleed Possible air from it

wayne :

let me Know

wayne :

Hello, Ja Customer, Just wondering where we are with this

wayne :

Let me know

Customer :

OK. Today I loosened the top fitting on the 4 way housing and ran the plow right, then manually back left. I think I got all the air out of the system. Then I switched the hoses on the angle rams. I pulled the stick left, and the plow angled right. I pushed the stick right but the plow did not come back, same as before. I think that means there is nothing wrong with the 4 way valve. Could there be something wrong with that right ram?

wayne :

Hi

wayne :

You know what, hard to figure out problems, with out being There, this is no a cop out, But put your self in my shoes, I have given all I can, looked at Diagrams, From here on out I would be guessing.........

wayne :

that is not what you want, well if all was OK, then this problem happened, you checked all adjustments, well may that a ram is bad ............That being said, I do not have any more info for you , Sorry..........

wayne :

Merry Christmas, to you and yours

Customer :

Thanks for your help. I'll accept your answer and keep working on it.

Customer :

Merry Christmas !

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wayne:
Just thought you might like to know that we stumbled onto the solution to our hydraulic snow plow problem just a few days ago. One of the hose couplers was bad. We bypassed it & connected the hose directly to the ram, and it works like new. It was an inexpensive solution. We can both file that away for future reference.
Afternoon,

Thank you for that info, your correct, that is one for the file.........

Glad it's going

wayne