catmastertech
catmastertech, Technician
Experience:  19 years Cat, 3 years Case
11546476

shop manual..caterpillar..detailed information on electrical circuits

How do I get access to a dvd shop manual for a 963 caterpillar crawler/loader serial #06Z00??
The dvd I think I need is DVD#8. I'm trying to restore my machine and I need detailed
information on electrical circuits,and other machine components. I don't need detailed engine info,because I will not attempt to restore any engine compontents.

Donnie :

All CAT manual have a subscription license and are expensive ($750 to $5000 per year). You machine is too old to have a schematic. It only has a parts picture, which is very good to locate the connections. I can get some sections out of the book but, not much. You are limited to 1mb uploads anyway. I would suggest you purchase a parts book on CD if you want to keep everything in your computer. If you only need a section from the manual, maybe your dealer will sell you a single manual instead of buying the whole book.

Donnie :

I will help you if you only need some small section of a book but, I can't get you too much do to the size resrtictions. Here is the parts page for the electrical.

Customer:

I all ready have axcess to the caterpillar parts store that allows me to look up parts for my particular machine. this however limits me to parts only and not the sis data. I guess, from what your telling me, a subscription license is what I need to axcess sis. Would it be possible to get a single dvd disc that covers my machine without needing a license? My problem is the pictures show the part only and not the adjoining parts and how they mate.

Donnie :

The DVD's are under a SIS license. They only work on a SIS licensed PC. SIS does the decryption for all the DVD Data. Even if you had the disc, it would not work without the SIS program. They were all changed last year to increase security. All the old ones I had were sent to the landfill since all the old versions have expired and cannot be renewed.

Donnie :

Have you tried to order just the Disassembly and Assembly section for the machine? I have heard others say their dealer would not sell the single sections.

Customer:

would the assembly/disassembly section be available thru a cat dealer. I'm retired and new at this so it's more like a hobby. would a 963 shop manual as found on e-bay help me. would shop manuals covering 963a,b or c. show enough major parts to educate me as to how the parts mate with their adjacent assemblies, or Is this wishful thinking?

Donnie :

The hydro-transmission is the most complicated pump system I have seen from CAT. If you have the whole service manual, you can get through the testing and adjusting fairly well. They still have alot of special tools for certain test but, they are only needed for drive problems. The guys that work in these regularly can zip right through the setup. I have only repair a few so, I can't offer you any short-cut tips. I just use the manual and work through the guides and have fixed the problems.

Donnie :

The only problem buying a used manual would be, it won't have any updated information in it. That is why CAT and the dealers went to online services (plus CAT gets paid for this service). It keeps the updates within a three month to current timeline.

Donnie :

The "A" and the "B" models used the same pump system. The "C" and later changed to a tandem pump and more modern design. They also added electronic controls to the "C" models.

Donnie :

The manuals have several sections, Disassembly and Assembly, Stsytems operation with Testing and Adjusting, Specifications (mostly torque spec's), Machine Systems (steering brakes and hydraulic systems) and then the Engine. It can vary for different machines.

Donnie :

If the dealer will work with you, maybe you can buy the sections you want. If not the whole book could be purchased. I have been told the whole book can exceed $700.

Donnie :

Parts books are not included but, they are much more reasonablely priced.

Donnie :

The disassembly books won't have the adjusting information in them. If you really plan to do all the work yourself, the whole manual is the way to go. Even somethings are left out of the adjusting book and you need the specification book for them (linkage lengths and some wheel bearing settings).

Customer:

Thanks don. you have been a great help and very patient with me....excellent service.