Clayton
Clayton, Mechanic
Experience:  5+ Years at Freightliner, Detroit & MBE Certified, ATD, and Electrical
44163566

engine vowel setting and jake breaks setting/ what is the setting

engine vowel setting and jake breaks setting/ what is the setting for this engine is a c-12 cat.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Clayton replied 6 years ago.

Clayton :

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer, I am Clayton. I can help you with this.

Customer:

yes

Clayton :

Hey, Good Morning

Customer:

same to u

Clayton :

I am working on getting the valve settings for you, give me a min ok?

Customer:

do u have the answer to my question

Clayton :

I will have the answer in just a little bit, I am working on it

Customer:

ok

Clayton :

Intake valves are .015

Clayton :

Exhaust valves are .025

Clayton :

Adjust the valve lash while the engine is stopped. Use the following procedure to adjust the valve lash:

1. Put the No. 1 piston at the top center position. Refer to Testing and Adjusting, "Fuel System".

Note: If the engine is equipped with an engine compression brake, loosen the adjusting screw for the lash on the slave piston for the compression brake prior to adjusting the engine valve lash. Refer to the Testing and Adjusting, "Compression Brake" for information that relates to the adjustment of the slave piston lash for the engine compression brake.

1. Before any adjustments are made, lightly tap the rocker arm at the top of the adjustment screw with a soft mallet. This will ensure that the lifter roller seats against the camshaft's base circle.

Note: Refer to Table 6 for the appropriate engine valve lash setting.

1. Make an adjustment to the valve lash on the inlet valves for cylinders 1, 2, and 4.

Clayton :

1. Loosen adjustment locknut (2) .

2. Place the appropriate feeler gauge between rocker arm and the valve bridge. Then, turn the adjustment screw in a clockwise direction. Slide the feeler gauge between the rocker arm and the valve bridge. Continue turning the adjustment screw until a slight drag is felt on the feeler gauge. Remove the feeler gauge.

3.  

4. Tighten the adjustment locknut to a torque of 30 ± 7 N·m (22 ± 5 lb ft). Do not allow the adjustment screw to turn while you are tightening the adjustment locknut. Recheck the valve lash after tightening the adjustment locknut.

5.  

6. Make an adjustment to the valve lash on the exhaust valves for cylinders 1, 3, and 5.

1. Loosen adjustment locknut (2) .

1. Place the appropriate feeler gauge between rocker arm and the valve bridge. Then, turn the adjustment screw in a clockwise direction. Slide the feeler gauge between the rocker arm and the valve bridge. Continue turning the adjustment screw until a slight drag is felt on the feeler gauge. Remove the feeler gauge.

1. Tighten the adjustment locknut to a torque of 30 ± 7 N·m (22 ± 5 lb ft). Do not allow the adjustment screw to turn while you are tightening the adjustment locknut. Recheck the valve lash after tightening the adjustment locknut.

7.  

8. Remove the timing bolt and turn the flywheel by 360 degrees in the direction of engine rotation. This will put the No. 6 piston at the top center position on the compression stroke. Install the timing bolt in the flywheel.

9.  

10. Before any adjustments are made, lightly tap the rocker arm at the top of the adjustment screw with a soft mallet. This will ensure that the lifter roller seats against the camshaft's base circle.

11.  

12. Make an adjustment to the valve lash on the inlet valves 3, 5, and 6.

1. Lightly tap the rocker arm at the top of the adjustment screw with a soft mallet. This will ensure that the lifter roller seats against the camshaft's base circle.

1. Loosen the adjustment locknut.

13.  

14. Make an adjustment to the valve lash on the exhaust valves for cylinders 2, 4, and 6.

1. Loosen adjustment locknut (2) .

15.  

16. Remove the timing bolt from the flywheel after all adjustments to the valve lash have been made. Reinstall the timing cover on the flywheel housing.

Clayton :

Let me look for the Jakes

Customer:

can i use the same tool that fits 3406-e for the injectors on the c-12 i have 1 of thoes or do i set the injectors o tolerance and turn back so many degrees and if so how man\y degrees

Clayton :

It did not say anything about the injector height tool. Let me see

Clayton :

Let me get the jake brake settings real quick

Clayton :

Serial Number Prefix Slave Piston Lash Setting
3CS1-UP
2PN1-UP
8YS1-UP

0.64 ± 0.08 mm (0.025 ± 0.003 inch)
CPD1-UP
9SM1-UP
2KS1-UP
9NS1-UP

1.02 ± 0.08 mm (0.040 ± 0.003 inch)
1YN1-UP
1.14 ± 0.08 mm (0.045 ± 0.003 inch)
MBJ1-UP
MBL1-UP

1.40 ± 0.08 mm (0.055 ± 0.003 inch)

Clayton :

Looks like your jake settings are .045 plus or minus .003 inches because of your serial number

Clayton :

1. Place the appropriate feeler gauge between slave piston (2) and screw assembly (3). Turn the adjustment screw in a clockwise direction. Slide the feeler gauge between the slave piston and the screw assembly. Continue turning the adjustment screw until a slight drag is felt on the feeler gauge. Remove the feeler gauge.

1. Tighten adjustment locknut (1) to a torque of 35 N·m (25 lb ft). Recheck the slave piston lash after tightening the locknut.

1. Continue to check the slave piston lash for each of the cylinders that have been designated for adjustment. After each adjustment, tighten the locknut for the valve adjustment screw to a torque of 35 N·m (25 lb ft) and recheck the slave piston lash adjustment.

1. Remove the timing bolt and turn the flywheel by 360 degrees in the direction of engine rotation. This will put No. 6 piston at the top center position on the compression stroke. Install the timing bolt in the flywheel.

Reference: Testing and Adjusting, "Finding the Top Center Position For No. 1 Piston"

Follow steps 2 through 5 in order to adjust the slave piston lash on cylinders 2, 4, and 6.

1. Remove the timing bolt from the flywheel after all adjustments have been made. Reinstall the timing cover on the flywheel housing.

Clayton :

Injector Adjustment Procedure

Clayton :

To make an adjustment to the unit injectors on cylinders 3, 5, and 6 use the following procedure:

1. Put the number 1 piston at the top center position on the compression stroke. Refer to Systems Operation/Testing and Adjusting, "Finding Top Center Position For No. 1 Piston".

1. Turn the unit injector adjusting screw (2) clockwise until contact is made with the unit injector.

1. Turn the unit injector adjusting screw through 180 degrees in a clockwise direction.

1. Hold the adjusting screw in this position and tighten the locknut (3) to a torque of 55 ± 10 N·m (41.0 ± 7.0 lb ft).

1. To make an adjustment to the unit injectors on cylinders 1, 2, and 4, remove the timing bolt. Turn the flywheel by 360 degrees in the direction of the engine's rotation. The engine rotates in a counterclockwise manner. This will put the number 1 piston at the top center position on the exhaust stroke.

1. Repeat 2 through 4.

1. Remove the timing bolt from the flywheel after all of the unit injector adjustments have been made. Reinstall the timing cover.

Clayton :

No tool is required.

Clayton :

That should be everything you need to adjust your overhead

Customer:

is that all if so thank you very much forall your time..

Clayton :

Ya, you have your Jake settings, Injector settings, and your valve settings. All it needs is for you to do it.. haha...I can't..lol

Customer:

have a great day by smarty

Clayton :

Thanks for using Just Answer. Please accept so I get credit.