Curtis B.
Curtis B., service manager
Experience:  30 years exp. with diesel engines, heavy equipment and forklifts, including lp forklifts

Ford: 1988 series two tractor have a pre heater..cold weather

Customer Question

does a ford 7610 1988 series two tractor have a pre heater for starting in cold weather and if so how does it work.
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

curtis b :

Good evening from Texas, the 7610 shows to use an injector in the intake manifold, it injects diesel over a glow plug like device to preheat the air in the manifold before it goes into the cylinders. It is activated by the key switch in the cold start position. I have never saw a working version as it never gets cold enough here to require it. Most have been unhooked for years. The electrical end of it opens the diesel valve and heats the glow plug as the key is held in the cold start position, which looks to be turning the key backwards from start. I will leave question in the infromation only, till you tell me different. Thank you.