Benjy
Benjy, Technician
Experience:  10+ Years Experience Factory Trained John Deere, CaseIH, Kubota, Agco, Mahindra, Valra, Fendt,
20629389

A Case 580B backhoe with engine problems..injector pump..input shaft

Customer Question

I have a Case 580B backhoe with engine problems. Will not run. Replaced the injector pump, injectors, drive gear and input shaft. It will run on ether but will not keep running. It does not have a prime pump or an easy start.I had a proffesonal diesal mechanic look at and he is stumped.Do I need to pull the entire front cover to check the gear timing? There is no marks on the flywheel either. Thank You Skip
Category: Heavy Equipment
Expert:  catmastertech replied 6 years ago.

Donnie :

Remove the side cover on the pump and look for the timing marks. Rotate the engine over to were the degree marks begin. Slowly rotate the engine until you see the two marks line-up. I think the engine will be about 8 degress before tdc. Remove the fuel pump and turn the crankshaft one revolution, it must be back on the same timing point it was removed. This is to correct the timing that is "180 degrees out".One trun on the crankshaft should get it back in time.

Customer:

Tried that and didn't work. I forgot to mention that the first rebuilt pump froze up and sheared the keyway pin off. That's why I had to replace the drive gear and the shaft. Thanks Skip

Expert:  Benjy replied 6 years ago.
Are you getting good fuel to the injectors or is it foamy?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Very good pressure and new diesal, Thanks
Expert:  Benjy replied 6 years ago.
Ok, what color and amount of smoke are you getting from exhaust?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am getting some white smoke, probably moderate amount. thanks
Expert:  Benjy replied 6 years ago.

It does sound like it is out of time you tried the procedure listed above? If it is white smoking you are getting fuel. The problem is it is just not at the right time. Most likely injecting on exhaust stroke instead of compression.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would the timing be only with the pump or would it be in the gears?
Expert:  Benjy replied 6 years ago.

Well, if you time pump to just before Top Dead Center on #1 compression stroke you should be where the gears are set, assuming that the camshaft is not out of time to the crank. Pull the #1 injector, pull the valve cover, rotate engine in natural direction, watch valves on #1. when the intake valve opens, the piston in #1 should be traveling downward, verify by putting dowel rod, or piece of bronze wire in #1 injector hole so it rests on top of piston(don't lose the wire in the bore), continue to turn the engine over, as the piston reaches the bottom of the stroke the intake valve should close. The engine is now starting the compression stroke. Watch through the window on the side of the pump, and continue to turn the engine over. The timing marks in the pump should line up shortly before piston reaches top of travel(again with the dowel or wire), This should be no more than 15degrees of CRANK rotation before the piston reaches the end of its travel. If the marks didn't line up before reaching top of piston travel stop at top of piston travel, and mark flywheel or front pulley. Then continue to rotate engine while watching the pump marks. If they line up slightly before you rotate crank 1 complete revolution(back to your mark) then the pump is 180 degrees out of time. To remedy this, turn engine until timing marks in pump line up. Mark crankshaft position, accurately as possible. Remove injection pump, taking care not to rotate pump shaft. Turn the crankshaft 360 degrees, one full revolution, back to the marks you just made. This will be the position the pump will need to be installed in. Again, DON"t rotate pump shaft while off. You will probably have to remove front cover over drive gear and reposition it so that the pump key way will line up. Once you have the pump set to where it has its timing marks lined up and the engine is slightly before top dead center on the COMPRESSION stroke, it should run.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, I'll try that. But it will be a few days because it's 27 degrees out side. Thanks again Skip.
Expert:  Benjy replied 6 years ago.
Ok, can you reply at least once a day or the question will time out.